Rear Upper Shock Studs?

-

Stiffler

Reaction score
This is for a '64 Dart 270.
Does anyone know where to get these rear upper shock studs? When I removed these shocks to put on new ones, both sides had these nuts froze on. I cannot remove these from either shock. I've tried lube and heat to no avail.

Napa did not have them. The only studs they had were about two inches shorter.
The ones I've seen online don't look the same so I don't know if they work? This one from Summit maybe? Though it doesn't list the overall length.
Classic Performance Rear Shock Mounting Studs CPSMS

Any leads would be awesome....Thank you!

IMG_1023.JPG

though I've never used them I've seen them advertised. Sears Craftsman used to sell them, they are nut crackers. they are like a miniature vise with a jack screw with a hardened wedge end. You're supposed to just crank on the end of the screw and it will split the nut. Once it's split, it should just about fall off.

soak it in a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone for a couple days and try it again

though I've never used them I've seen them advertised. Sears Craftsman used to sell them, they are nut crackers. they are like a miniature vise with a jack screw with a hardened wedge end. You're supposed to just crank on the end of the screw and it will split the nut. Once it's split, it should just about fall off.

They work.

maybe a bench grinder would work if you're very careful. Just grind on one of the flats until it weakens the strength of the nut, just don't go too far and grind the male thread of the stud.

ok. I will try the ATF+Acetone first, then try a nut splitter (I cant even type this with a straight face lol). If those fail then I'll try that stud option I linked in the original post.
Thanks!

ok. I will try the ATF+Acetone first, then try a nut splitter (I cant even type this with a straight face lol). If those fail then I'll try that stud option I linked in the original post.
Thanks!

Center bar on bike never crossed my mind...... Lol ! Good one.

If you can't get them off.... Send them to me.
I will disassemble, clean threads, add just a dab of anti-seize, install new lock nuts and send back to you. AT NO COST ! ( EXCEPT YOU PAY SHIPPING)

No disrespect. But some things some people can do.........others can not.

This is is a simple process to me.

But then again.... l really don't know a EFI from a GFI ........

Center bar on bike never crossed my mind...... Lol ! Good one.

If you can't get them off.... Send them to me.
I will disassemble, clean threads, add just a dab of anti-seize, install new lock nuts and send back to you. AT NO COST ! ( EXCEPT YOU PAY SHIPPING)

No disrespect. But some things some people can do.........others can not.

This is is a simple process to me.

But then again.... l really don't know a EFI from a GFI ........
dude, thank you, I will let you know :)
and no offense taken at all, everyone has a skill set! Mine's telecom in construction ;)

I just use a Dremel tool. Cut the nut on both sides & it almost falls off with a light chisel hit. Doesn’t matter if you cut the threads a little, it’s a clean cut. The easiest way to take off shock bolts with a lot of threads in my opinion.

-
Back