Rear View Mirror

-

MB43

Reaction score
My rear view mirror flops around... I haven't taken it apart yet to see how to tighten it up, all I've done is just tightened the 3 screws on it. Is there anything in the plastic piece that's screwed into the roof that would allow me to tighten this up? Or shoud I just replace the whole thing?

AdamR said:
Theres a thin piece of metal in it that wears down.

Ah, I was hoping it was something simple like that!

take the three screws out and remove it from the roof, flip it over and you can tighten, slightly, the screw with the little piece of medal that pushes against the ball. :evil2:

how about a backyard mechanic fix....that has worked for several years on mine.

If you cannot tighten it up the correct way, do what I did. I packed the little area around the ball with nothing more than a peice of a paper towel. Screwed it back up there and man is it nice. No more flopping around and can still be adjusted nicely when your passenger somehow always bonks there head into it. I have another decent mirror for mine, but havent had to use it...I think I have a better set up now than when new. :)

just a thought.

-RPM

RPM said:
how about a backyard mechanic fix....that has worked for several years on mine.

If you cannot tighten it up the correct way, do what I did. I packed the little area around the ball with nothing more than a peice of a paper towel. Screwed it back up there and man is it nice. No more flopping around and can still be adjusted nicely when your passenger somehow always bonks there head into it. I have another decent mirror for mine, but havent had to use it...I think I have a better set up now than when new. :)

just a thought.

-RPM

Sounds good to me, I'll give that a shot.

LMAO... Thats what i did. Mind you teh cardboard i folded works so well even when my two twelves are thumping in my trunk plus the road and the engine its stiff and doesnt move..
Good luck on your decision.

Cerwin said:
LMAO... Thats what i did. Mind you teh cardboard i folded works so well even when my two twelves are thumping in my trunk plus the road and the engine its stiff and doesnt move..
Good luck on your decision.

I took it off, it looks like somebody already did the paper towel trick. But the metal place was loose, so I tightened it up, now I can barely move the mirror. Just what I wanted. ;-)

It used to be so loose that as soon as I hit the gas (at the starting line) I'd be looking at the ceiling and I had no idea where the other guy was... I usually leave first so it's nice to see the guy who's chasing me, and it's hard to adjust the mirror when I'm flying down the track, watching over my shoulder for the other guy, keeping an eye on the shift light and keeping the car stright.

Thanks for the tip!

-
Back