Rear Wheel bearings - what type?

-

dartley

Reaction score
Hi folk,

My 8.75 is growling at me and if I find out the rear wheel bearings need replacement I will need to decide what to replace them with.

I currently have the sealed Green ball bearings - only 1->2 K miles on them actually. I've heard some say they are not recommended for street use. Wondering if I should consider going back to tappered rollers such as Timkins.

~Bill

Hi, I have green bearings in the Duster. Have put on about 2000 miles.
Not one bit of noise. All of the new cars use about the same thing.
Check make sure you didn't get water or something else in there to
take them out. I would recomend them to anybody.

Personaly, I will always use the Timkens, it's what the engineers felt they needed in them and they have always worked well for me. There are many who proclaim the glories of the green bearings, but u are not the first I have heard of putting them in and having them go out fairly quick, and their are others I have heard have "claimed" to drive the snot out of theirs and never had a problem. Timkens are THE BEST for any kinda road course, slalom, drifter, skid pad fanatic, or just plain old HARD core corner burner out in the real world (like myself). If all you do is putt on down to the ice cream parlor for a cone with your sweety on sunday, then greens are fine, if you want to go out and see what kinda g's you can pull around your favorite slalom course or what not, put the tapered Timkens back in there. Just my .02.

krabysniper said:
...Timkens are THE BEST for any kinda road course, slalom, drifter, skid pad fanatic, or just plain old HARD core corner burner out in the real world (like myself). If all you do is putt on down to the ice cream parlor for a cone with your sweety on sunday, then greens are fine, if you want to go out and see what kinda g's you can pull around your favorite slalom course or what not, put the tapered Timkens back in there. Just my .02.

I am so glad someone else is making this statement rather then me, since I work at Timken naturally one will think I am bias. Anyhow, cars back then with their big hp & torque required the usage of taper roller bearings, because TRB can handle far more load then ball bearings can. Ball bearing however is the standard today on 90%+ of all passenger cars, while high performance machines and trucks continue to use TRB for their drive train application. Of couse if it is TRB then you got to go with Timken :toothy7:

Thing is, All I can find is A7LK. For example, I checked the AutoZone site (there a number of them near me) and they list both A7LK and A7Rk, but they only stock the former. Same with every site I check.

Now, I can't think why you'd need a left and a right (what could be the difference?), but if they list both, I wonder.

Any comment?

~Bill

in most cases they would list both sides for the in-experienced countermen/women who cant digest the fact that they are the same bearing side to side .. if you check the part numbers if thats available. they should be the same. try your local NAPA store too.. i dont see why it would be different. but i also believe that TRB are your better option.. back in my first year as a mech. apprentice they taught us the difference about TRB and BB.. its a very big difference in how it distributs the wieght and torque and just the general design makes more sense even under extreme conditions such as dragging.. and thats my .02 as well (mind you its canadian, so like 0.00576)

Cerwin

Actually, as of today I think, the rate is much more favorable for you folks ...

100.00 CAD = 88.9546 USD

I'm not a mechanic, but it is easy for me to visualize why a tappered roller would work better.

dartley, try this link:

http://www.timken.com/industries/automotive/autoaftermarket/timkencatalog/PartCatalog.aspx

It should look something like this... click on application for interchange and details. Good luck. BTW Autozone should have them....

clip_image002.jpg

Thanks, but the site does not list anything for the 8.75 ...

tinken_no_875.JPG

What car is the 8.75 on? More importantly, where did it come from? The donor car is one you need to look up.

Megatron said:
What car is the 8.75 on? More importantly, where did it come from? The donor car is one you need to look up.

... Orig 340 car.

-
Back