Rear wheel well tabs

-

BrianH

Reaction score
Restoring my 70 Duster and was wondering how the 4 tabs on the outer rear wheel well housing lip should get positioned, or bent. My 70 Duster has them pointing in towards the center of the car. Seems more logical that they should have been bent up to get them completely out of the way. Wondering what others have found on their cars. Trivial item I know, but details fascinate me. Thanks.

Brian

I assume you mean the trunk drop? The tabs were down to be a stop for the quarter at time of install then they just bent them up

No. The ones one the outer wheel housings where they meets the quarter panel wheel lip.

Can you provide a picture?

These?........... I'm not sure.
1694282650543.png

I just finished installing a patch piece last Monday on my 73 Duster. The factory tabs on the wheel well lip were pointing straight in, towards the center of the car, just like in your first picture. Your second pic looks like it's bent in a bit. Maybe an optical illusion?

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I can see evidence that they were pointing down at one time. Assuming that they were used at assembly time to set the alignment of the quarter panel and outer wheel house as the outer wheelhouse lip is not as wide as the quarter panel lip.

Brian

My 73 Satellite has those on the rear.

I always assumed they were there to assist in mounting the wheel lip trim (an option my car does not have).

A line worker could "simply" hold the trim against the tabs, and run the screws in.

-
Back