Rear width/mini tub?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
I drug the 67 post valiant in today and am having many thoughts on which way to go so here comes the questions. I would like to have rear meats of at least 10-12" wide. Do i need a narrowed rear to put on these wider tires? I plan on doing a mini tube if i need to. I guess i'll have to do a spring relocate to make enough room? If so some pics of a finished job would be helpful. The original color of the valiant is BB1 black but i think i'll play a little and do some green and silver. Your thoughts please.

You need to do a relocation kit and at a minimum of a mini tub to get that width tire under the valiant.

The rear doesn't need to be shortened, but, it makes thing a bunch easier changing tires.

This guy, Ron Silva builds some of the cleanest cars on the planet.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ords=dragrcr97&topic=&Search=true#Post4701150
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ords=dragrcr97&topic=&Search=true#Post4689080
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ords=dragrcr97&topic=&Search=true#Post4482768

That should be a good start.

I was told to use a 15x10 w/a 7.5 rear back space rim if I chose to do what your wanting as well.
Mini tub for sure and roll/trim the right rear wheel well lip in 1/2 inch along the top side inner for tire clearence.
You can make your own mini tub also by moving inner wheel well into frame and weld a strip where you made your cut for width. Do a search and you should find more info. also.

I have the Mopar Perf. 3'' off set kit as well.
I'll run a 275/60/15 BFG tire also when done.

Good luck w/your project.

Mark

Yep, Did a search and there is some good info on here and it wont be bad as i do have a plasma cutter and all the goodies here in the shop and if there is one thing i like it is fabrication. Thanks guys. I pulled the 170 3 speed out today and will start taking it all apart and do a total on it. It needs floor pans which i do have. Thanks for your input. I'll be asking for more down the road.

i have a minitubed dart. has a 440.stock width 8.75. i should be getting my
15x10 with 7.5 in bs weld draglites monday.going to mount my 29.5x10.5Wx15 m/t slicks on the car. these tires are 12-13 inch wide of surface. i can email u some shots of it next week when i get them on along with some trunk and underneath shots if you would like. or feel free to road trip up hear and hang out.. here is a couple shots for you smallblock

DSC01755.JPG

DSC01754.JPG

DSC01749.JPG

wheels came today. put one on the car and measured with a straight edge.there is 2 inches from the inside of the outer fender well to the edge of the outside bead of the rim. so seems to be plenty of clearance and shows to have about 2-2 1/2 inches from the spring to the bead of the wheel. i will post some pictures of bare wheel and with tire on wheel as soon as i can get them mounted.

I run a 10.5 x 27 MT street ET with no mini tub. I have relocated the springs and have 15 x 8 rallys with a 5.5 back set.

IMG_1177.jpg

here are the 7.5 in backspace 15x10 in centerline wheels with springs moved in and minitubbed for you small block. tried to get you some decent pictures but the lighting is not the greatest in the shop. as you might tell by the pictures. hope this will give you some ideas. i did cut the lip out of the wheel well. did this before measuring for the wheels. would have been close with it. but these tires are 29.5 inches tall and 12 inches wide

DSC01776.JPG

DSC01780.JPG

DSC01781.JPG

DSC01785.JPG

DSC01786.JPG

DSC01787.JPG

DSC01788.JPG

-
Back