rear window gasket 67 barracuda notchback

-

roadripper

Reaction score
I am replacing the rear window gasket on my 67 notchback and was going to convert to 68/69 stainless around the window. So the car came with an new rear gasket from steele products $40-0518-81 which lists on the site as a gasket for a 67to69 notchback car, Is this gasket correct for what I am tryin to do which allows clearance for the clips or do I have to get the one from yearone #WS303 which is listed as a gasket for a 68/69 notchback ??? Some one has done this before?, just don't want to buy another new gasket if I already have one

thanks mike

So I installed the new gasket to test fit looks like lots of clearance for the clips ,
doesn't fit tight To the roof edge as the original did!!

Hopefully no issues !! Any thoughts ?

Thanks mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 223
You want a 68-9 gasket, NOT a 67 style. It is one year only and uses plastic lockstrip to seal, or at least attempt to seal. I have a 67 fback with the original gasket and am also contemplating on doing the same as you.
Call Nigel/Scott/Rick at National Moparts here in Ontario. 1 705 426 2993, I just bumped into Nigel today at the Post office actually. Nice guys and they KNOW their mopars. I talked ws gaskets as they werent being made for a while. They are now being made again by Precision.
Here is the link I believe. Apparently you need to login though??

http://prp.com/

Here is link to National Moparts website

http://nationalmoparts.com/parts-catalogue?page=shop.browse&category_id=434

steel rubber products has new 67 rear window gaskets for the coupe that are O.E. #40-0518-81 I bout 1 for mine it looks right I have not installed it yet it uses the 67 lock strip it is also available....
p.s. any body have the Plymouth letters of the front of a 67 Barracuda they would part with?

I imagine you can squeeze the clips in there, possibly; the problem is that you have that big channel running down the middle of the gasket for the 67 lockstrip. At the least, you need to fill it with something, to keep it from trapping water. But I wonder how well the stainless will lay down against this.

I don't know why they listed it as 67-68-69 -- that just isn't right. 67 is completely different.

So I installed the new gasket to test fit looks like lots of clearance for the clips ,
doesn't fit tight To the roof edge as the original did!!

Hopefully no issues !! Any thoughts ?

Thanks mike

The gasket that came from steele rubber came with the rubber lock strip , it doesn't go right up to the window frame edge like the original did which should leave lots of room for clips!!! tommorow if its not to cold suppose to be -40 with the wind chill, i will take picture of the 68 parts car that i took the stainless off and post them up for comparison

Mike 67 barracuda

So I took pics of the parts car , can't tell what kind of lock strip due to all the ice, lol
Only -20 today , looks like caulking was used to fill the void between the gasket and car
frame !!

Mike 67 barracuda

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 141
I can't tell what's going on in those pix, with the snow. It looks like someone painted right over the gasket.

Just to confirm-1967 is a "1" year only seal 1968 and 1969 are the same and use the same seal/gasket and stainless trim and also clips. Good luck!!!

20161012_122036.jpg
So I finally got the rear window in using the Steele products gasket #40-0518-81 lots of room for the clips and the stainless trim

THinking of converting mine as well. How did you determine number and placement of the clips on your 67

I converted my 67 to 68/69 gaskets and installed the clips. The clips have to go in before the gasket and there is a chart on here somewhere that gives you to location and count for the clips. It might be on my built thread. Got my glass installed and just have to polish the trim and install it now. It is a good conversion but not cheap and the trim is expensive and hard to find.

-
Back