rear window

-

mikess68

Reaction score
its me again, man im sure living up to the rookie mopar guy, (can't help it ive always had gm) the rear window seems to set in rubber like the back of a pick up truck window. a. how does the window come out b. how does the rubber come off, any caulking being used here etc. the rubber looks good enough to reuse if you can reuse those things. so my intention is to removed. clean and paint the area and re install. also adding back the vinyl top. ? tks 8)

The chrome trim needs to be removed first. If the rear window has never been taken out before, you're probably better of cutting the gasket to get the glass out and using a new gasket when it's time to put the rear window in.
The factory used some nasty black stuff that was still quite skicky on mine to keep the gasket, window and trim all stuck together.

ok, that helps, i think it is orginal, i dont see that black stuff though. i suppose i pull the window out of the rubber gasket like a truck rear window. then i guess the gasket pulls off the metal frame. i thought i would try to save the gasket if possible, it looks pretty good. last truck i pulled i i used liquid soap and plastic scraper and got it out pretty good. i also did it on a hot day so the rubber would give. is this about how it comes out of the dart? it also looks like the front windshield is the same deal. right?

I have had good luck removing the rear glass without ruining the gasket. Make sure car is in the sun to soften up the rubber. Remove the stainless trim, I use a plastic paddle to run along the gasket and glass, then working from the inside, again with the trimm removed I can usualy work the glass and gasket out starting at a top corner. After I get the complete top out, I pull the gasket off after it is out.

On my 68 Dart, that sticky gasket stuff was only on the rear window and not the windshield. Its a ***** to get that stuff off. I live in a shaded area so there isn't any available sun to warm it up. I've tried to scrap it off with a putty knife and it just globs up. I've tried to heat it with a heat gun and it just smears everywhere. I may leave it for the sandblaster.
My gasket also had a thin layer of foam over it.

ok good info, tks. the chrome fits real tight, a lot tighter than GM stuff. is there a easy way to remove the chrom from the clips. i have one of those tools, but first and second try, it would not release. the chrom is in good shape and want to keep it that way. any shortcuts?

-
Back