rearend help

-
All you should need is the rear itself. Just make sure it's out of
an A-body. I believe any from 1967 to 76 would fit.

My question is on the u shaped bolts that hold it in.Are they the same size as the other(old ones).

Also, if you ask someone that installs them, they will tell you that you need to replace the u-bolts as they stretch when you tork them down and a lot of times, they have been rusted on there for years and sometimes get weakened when you pull them off.... then there are those that would reuse them a time or two... (have done that too)... bottom line, new ones are cheap insurance that you won't have any issues due to one of them breaking...

Also, make sure the yoke on the pinion is the same between the 2.

As stated above, you will need 3 inch U Bolts if you are removing a 7.25. You will also need to shorted the driveshaft- not sure how much until you tell us what rear you are removing. I found a chart somewhere (moparts?) that tells you the different measurements. You may also get into brake hardware issues depending on what you want to do.

you may need to shorten the drive shaft, the u-joint is further away from the center line of the rear on an 8 3/4 than it is on a 7 1/4, make sure the front yoke doesn't bottom out on the transmission

71 dart guy does that chart include 8 1/4? it would be very helpful if you could post a link to it thanks (now back to your regularly scheduled thread)

Here ya go!

axle.gif

-
Back