Rebirth of Dustbull-with 408ci, efi, t56, dana 60

-
Yes I am putting the lower crossmember back in, although it may be designed differently as well. The previous mounting points of the crossmember as I said before were basically just welded to the floor sheetmetal. Although the accident turned the square tubing into an oval, and I didn't have any welds break, I feel a lot more comfortable with this setup. The only issue I had with it was keeping the 2x1 high enough up to not interfere with the torsion bars sliding in.

Hey guys, bit of an update: most of the underbody is now grey, my dad is doing the fuel cell area and wheel wells tomorrow. I did a lot of grinding/ prep work, as well as some fiberglass work on the hood, but nothing else was picture worthy.
DSC01093.jpg

DSC01095.jpg

I got a package from summit with everything needed for the fuel system about 20 AN fittings, 1/2 and 3/8 aluminum fuel line as well as a new set of black ceramic coated headers.
DSC01092.jpg

Nice build!!! Looks like it coming right along... You think you could tell me a little bit about your fuel cell set up. I know you are probably going to be on that pretty quick but I am impatient.... LOL I'm bout to cut the trunk pan out of mine and start fabbing up a frame somewhat like yours and then sheet it all in. I am getting stumped on how I want to run my gas lines etc...

Thanks a lot! Ill pm you a bit about the fuel cell setup and sheetmetal around it..i did the trunk differently on the duster. Heres what got done today, paint!
primer, pretty much ready for green
DSC01142.jpg

and the underbody is done now (i like the reflection in the fuel cell area).
DSC01137.jpg

The fiberglass hood, is all in one piece, it needs to be re-contoured from side to side at the cowl, originally its flat across.

No, i thought about it, but then my dad talked me out of it in the interest of time.. Ive had a set of 315's (nitto 555 drag radials) in there with no issues. Id like to have mini tubbed it and 4 linked it, but ive got other projects in line, itll get its turn again in the future.

No, i thought about it, but then my dad talked me out of it in the interest of time.. Ive had a set of 315's (nitto 555 drag radials) in there with no issues. Id like to have mini tubbed it and 4 linked it, but ive got other projects in line, itll get its turn again in the future.
Really, you can fit 315's in there without mini tubbing? Is your axle shortened? What inboard offset are you using 3"? (I've been thinking about doing the mini tub to the frame and 3" inboard for MAX tire clearance and super wide tires (335s being the widest that way?).

Yea, Id love to do something like that..but i do see my dads side on the time crunch; next time the demons down for upgrades (twin turbos, or later when i do my custom k member) ill address it. On the rear i have 17x9's with a 5" BS...I did have to run a ~1/4"-3/8" spacer in though to clear the springs. Id read on some mustang forums that the nitto 555's are the only 315 drag radial that can fit on a 9" rim

I still have a couple weeks before i can go home to work on the demon, but my dads made some progress this weekend. He managed to paint the roof/ roll cage, and got the top of the floors seam sealed.
DSC00002-1.jpg

DSC00005-1.jpg

Im also taking a welding class, mainly to learn how to tig weld. The stick welding portion is done with, and now im onto tig (since the teacher was convinced that ive had 'some' mig experience). The stick welding burnt my helmet up pretty good, so i figured now that its over with ill repaint it and put some kind of custom design on it. Its not the best helmet on the market, but i intend on having it for a while:
DSC01722.jpg

DSC01723.jpg

Not 100% done with it all, i may end up painting the whole thing white and finishing up the design...

My dad sent me these pictures of the interior painted. Im still going to Herculine the floors since its a lot more durable; i liked it in the duster, and it held up well for the ~6 months i had it on.

DSC00007-1.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

I have one more week until spring break, almost all the new parts are ready to be put on. If were lucky we could get the drivetrain swapped over in one full day unless cleaning the parts/ installing new motor mounts, headers...takes longer than expected.

Thanks unknownsnake, this is the week that a lot will get done, well see what else is left at the end of it!
Last night i welded up a solid motor mount so i dont have to worry about tearing the stock style one on the drivers side again. I also got the Herculiner sprayed on the floor and trunk. I got a bit too thick on some spots on the floor, and a bit too thin in the trunk, but overall i think it looks good and am happy with it (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)
Photo03092301.jpg

Photo03092301_1.jpg

Today my dad and i can put the demon on a cradle, put the duster on the lift, and take the engine, trans, and diff off of it. More pics and updates as they happen-this should be a fun week!

Looking good. Now get to work. Let's see a roller by Monday. That's right I challenge you. Love the build and the rebound from the unfortunate lapse in judgement on somelse behalf.

Thanks a lot!! the monday (the one ~1-2 days away) wouldnt be a problem if everything wasnt so dirty. I still need to clean everything, finish up welding my solid motor mount, and put it and the new headers on the engine...so we'll see what i can get done; ill probably be heading back out tonight to scrape grease.
Well here are all the pics, it was an eventful day to say the least!

Took all the masking tape off, just needs a bit of body work and some green on the body:
DSC01150.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

DSC01154.jpg

We had an engine/trans cradle that my dad had built for the roadrunner that worked very well here too:
DSC01161.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

In redneck fashion we used an engine stand and engine lift to roll the duster out after the suspension was gone before the demon was off of the dolly (I was being lazy and had voted for the more redneck approach of dragging it out with my truck).
DSC01167.jpg

Are the rockers still good on the Duster? If so you could probably get some cash for those from someone up north.

The rockers are good, we had to take some out of the drivers side to patch the demon, but otherwise its solid...im just concerned with the shipment issues.

Compared to yesterdays progress not much got done, but a lot of tedious degreasing, taping, and painting got done. I also put the solid motor mount on and welded the o2 bung into the new header. My dad took all of the wiring out of the duster while i was painting.
Very few wires had to be cut, it should be as simple as installing the dash and unrolling all the wires to where they belong.
DSC01174.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

The diff was all scratched up from the shocks, u-bolts..etc so i ground all of the paint off and repainted it. I rattle canned the engine chrysler red. nothings as pretty as the first time we installed it in the duster, but for 3 years/ 25,000 miles most of the stuff can still polish to a bit of a shine.

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01179.jpg

The motor mount will be here tomorrow morning, Im hoping to install it, then the headers, and lower the body down onto it.

Thanks for the responses and for following my build guys!
I didnt get as much done as i was hoping, but its not bad given that i started working on the demon at 7:00pm, and i was all alone. The motor mount didnt come in until 3:00, so i couldnt do anything until i had that...I couldve made the demon a roller tonight if i wanted to stay out there and watch paint dry on the rear spring mounts, but tomorrows another day!

DSC01180.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01186.jpg

ah safe and sound in its new home

Yes, safe for now, but probably the next time im home the carberetor is leaving for the fuel injected intake. I also have to say that the Hooker headers were a horrible fit, the fitment seems way worse than the previous set. It could also be that the coating is black, but it seems to scratch way easier too. My next set of headers will be my own turbo headers anyways.

A little update today: heres the rear end in the car now that the leaf spring mounts are dry. Its technically a roller now, but im leaving it on the lift to get the transmission crossmember built:
DSC01191.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

Thanks flipper, heres a bit more work for the day: I basically remade the transmission mount from scratch, mounted the brake/clutch pedals, my dad helped me put the dash into the demon, and I started wiring the demon up.

the rear section of wiring is in place, i need to straighten the front section out, and start putting the fuel injection wires into place too.
DSC01196.jpg

Bit of an oversight that needed correcting ( i just boxed it in since its covered by the seat bolster and wont be seen):
DSC01198.jpg

DSC01202.jpg

-
Back