rebuild and bullet proof question

-

DUSTPAN340

Reaction score
my 833 4 speed has proven to be my weak link since I put in my 416....seems it wont take the higher RPMs going into third...she pops out every time..she did come out of a car with 43k on her and and a litlle stock 340....now the 416 is just a tad more HP and TORQUE..a few of my buddies say its time for a rebuild and bullit proof it....all you HIGHER HP guys have any suggestions for me on my trans...

thanks any and all help will be greatfull

Wayne

The power isn't killing your synchros, but poor shifting, improper linkage adjustment or having the 1st/3dr stop bolt adjusted in to far on a Hurst Comp Plus will.

If you have a Comp Plus, make sure you have the stop bolt adjusted correctly and you do the adjustment in 3rd and 4th, not 1st and 2nd.

i hear ya...but all we did was put in the new motor...never did anything to the trans in anyway then it was with the old 340 and she shifted just fine then........I'll try to reajust and see if that works...

thanks

wayne

How much power a given engine makes has no bearing on popping out of gear. Shifter boots, incorrectly adjusted shifters/linkages, bent linkages, bent shifter mech. inside trans, Worn "Dogs" on teeth of third gear from missed shifts, etc. Play a major role in popping out of gear.

Yes, I will agree it's time for a rebuild, but you might find once your inside that trans, third gear may have to be replaced. The Synchros only HELP hold in gear. It's the bevel of the small teeth on the gear that controls how much holding strength. Makes no difference if engine makes more power no or not. Look closely at the ACTUAL GEAR teeth when torn down.

I've seen 750 HP Strokers not pop out of Third on a fresh A-833.

Sounds like the sliders/gear teeth are worn this will cause them to pop out of gear. Some places make sliders (gear selectors) that will hold a worn gear but if your building it might as well put new gears in.

-
Back