Rebuild buy new or buy used

-

Fisher

Old Guy with a Cool car.
Reaction score
I am waiting to get my 8-3/4 rear end this week, it is an open carrier, not sure of the number yet? I priced out a Moser drop in Center section , and also priced out an Auburn posi and gears set with bearings to put in the stock carrier almost the same price. Not sure what a good price to pay is on a used carrier sure grip with 3.55 gears. Any advise would be appreciated.

buying an all new chunk is gonna be spendy. i did it once. got a 489 case with detroit locker and 3.55 gears from Randy's ring and pinion. cost me $1500.

you could find a junk yard case or a bare case for about

$100

sure grip unit that is rebuildable (clutch type)

$250

ring and pinion

$200.00

bearing kit

$125

pay to have it all set up

$250

total

$1050

it takes longer but if you can find a chunk with your desired gears your miles ahead.

I just put a 489 case together for about $850.00

I bought the following:
Used complete open carrier, used sure grip, new gears, bearings.
It cost me $100.00 to have it set up.
The price would have been much cheaper but I had to buy a new 10 spline 7290 yoke that cost $180.00

well if you buy a new one it shows up at your door you put it in and you drive away. if you do it your self you have to go through all the set up and finding the parts. now i am not knocking the do it your self i most of the time had to do it my self, it is a jeeps
thing

well if you buy a new one it shows up at your door you put it in and you drive away. if you do it your self you have to go through all the set up and finding the parts. now i am not knocking the do it your self i most of the time had to do it my self, it is a jeeps
thing

that was my mindset when i got mine over 10yrs ago. cost me dearly. $1500

Called dr Diff and he said an 8-3/4 wont handle a 500 hp street care tried to sell me a dana 60. WTF

I will just put a Ford 9" in the thing before i use a heavy over weight Dana that isnt any tough than a 9"

Called dr Diff and he said an 8-3/4 wont handle a 500 hp street care tried to sell me a dana 60. WTF

I will just put a Ford 9" in the thing before i use a heavy over weight Dana that isnt any tough than a 9"

i beg to differ. this is my dads demon. making well over 500hp. car runs 10.60s in full street trim. weighs 3500lbs with driver. has 8 3/4 with 3.91 gears in a 489 case. been running this combo for over 5 yrs.

[ame=http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo147/johnnydart_photo/dads%20car/dadscar002.mp4]
th_dadscar002.jpg
[/ame]

I know young gun that's what I am saying! Guys have been beating that stuff up for a long time. Is your dads a factory sure grip or what does he have for a centre posi?

I know young gun that's what I am saying! Guys have been beating that stuff up for a long time. Is your dads a factory sure grip or what does he have for a centre posi?

had a clutch style sure grip in it for 3 seasons. he is now running a spool. picked up a full .10 and 1mph on that swap alone.

This is a street car not a drag car, not too worried about a tenth.lol just want it to work on the street.

your not gonna hook hard enough on the street to hurt an 8 3/4 rear. unless you got 33x18 tires and 600 hp with a trans brake. all that is gonna be a little outta place in the toys R us parking lot,.

Has anybody here bought anything from Dr Diff does his stuff stand up?

Dr. Diff stuff is top notch, plus when you call him (Cass) he answers the phone, if you get his machine he will call you back.
Best service period.
The big names should take a lesson from him.

I didn't say an 8 3/4" wont handle 500 HP. I said at 500 HP, you are on the verge, depending on driving style, engine torque and vehicle weight.

I gave the example of fuel dragsters in the '60s and '70s successfully running 8 3/4" rearends, verses my friend's (heavy/torquey/450 hp/4-speed) street car breaking 8 3/4" axles/gears/power-locks on the strip.

I also priced 3 options:

1. New, nodular iron 489 case with forged steel caps, billet adjusters, 3.91 US/Strange gears, repro power-lock (4 pinion clutch) sure-grip, crush sleeve eliminator and forged steel 7290 or 1350 U-bolt yoke $1175

2. New, nodular iron 489 case with forged steel caps, billet adjusters, 3.91 US/Strange gears, Eaton True-Trac (worm gear) differential, crush sleeve eliminator and forged steel 7290 or 1350 U-bolt yoke $1375

3. New, bolt-in S-60 Dana 60 assembly built with 35 spline axles, Track-Lock (2 pinion clutch) sure-grip and 1350 yoke $1875

4. New, bolt-in S-60 Dana 60 assembly built with 35 spline axles, S-Track (worm gear) differential and 1350 yoke $2175

BTW, a new 35 spline S-60 and a new, COMPARABLE 9" rearend weigh within 10 lbs of each other. The 9" rear costs more, creates more friction and robs more HP, though.

I just had a 489 built and ended up with around a $1000 in it. Next time I'll purchase one already done.

Will be calling to order option 2. Obviously we didn't communicate today!

I didn't say an 8 3/4" wont handle 500 HP. I

said at 500 HP, you are on the verge, depending on driving style, engine torque and vehicle weight.

I gave the example of fuel dragsters in the '60s and '70s successfully running 8 3/4" rearends, verses my friend's (heavy/torquey/450 hp/4-speed) street car breaking 8 3/4" axles/gears/power-locks on the strip.

I also priced 3 options:

1. New, nodular iron 489 case with forged steel caps, billet adjusters, 3.91 US/Strange gears, repro power-lock (4 pinion clutch) sure-grip, crush sleeve eliminator and forged steel 7290 or 1350 U-bolt yoke $1175

2. New, nodular iron 489 case with forged steel caps, billet adjusters, 3.91 US/Strange gears, Eaton True-Trac (worm gear) differential, crush sleeve eliminator and forged steel 7290 or 1350 U-bolt yoke $1375

3. New, bolt-in S-60 Dana 60 assembly built with 35 spline axles, Track-Lock (2 pinion clutch) sure-grip and 1350 yoke $1875

4. New, bolt-in S-60 Dana 60 assembly built with 35 spline axles, S-Track (worm gear) differential and 1350 yoke $2175

BTW, a new 35 spline S-60 and a new, COMPARABLE 9" rearend weigh within 10 lbs of each other. The 9" rear costs more, creates more friction and robs more HP, though.

-
Back