rebuild it or swap it?

-

salinasjoel

Learning Daily
Reaction score
I recently bought a dart 270 vert with a 273. When I purchased it I was told the motor had been rebuilt before but after getting it home and removing the valve covers that is obviously not the case. Luckily I have a spare 318 ready to role. Should I try to rebuild the 273 or just swap it out? I am not too concerned with originality. Will it swap right out or will there be mods involved?

Attachments

• 100_0145.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 124
  • rockers.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 124
swap it. Just keep the motor in a corner, if its the original motor just in case you ever need to sell the car.

I would go with the 318 block but cherry pick the two to make one... 2cnts

Yea swap it. Straight swap it's easy. Save all the OE stuff on 273 and the block.

The crank hole will need a bushing if this car is a auto. The hub on the converter is smaller on the early tranny. If you have a std tranny then you will have to make sure the crank is drilled deep enough for the input shaft.

Is it a commando engine or standard? If commando, then rebuild it as it has the high compression ratio. If it's the standard performance engine (I.e. two barrel carb), then go with the 318 and do what k.o.swinger said.

Better yet, go for a 340 or 360!:burnout:

nah not a commando. The 318 is ready to go I think the swap is whats going to happen. I'll just slowly rebuild the 273 since you never know when you need it.

As far as why people lie. It beats me, but am still not too bad and it was a car I wanted for several reasons beside the motor. I would have just rather have expected to see an engine in that shape then been expecting a clean rebuild, but as they say these things happen especially within this hobby and all I can do is learn to be honest in my dealings to prevent disappointing someone the way I was.

Thanks for the input guys I'll keep you updated.

-
Back