is this the best kit

# HP53008R
HP Master Kit, TF6 / 904 w/ Red Eagle Friction & standard steels
1972 - up Master Kit includes:
Gaskets, seals and sealing ring kit.
Red Eagle friction clutch kit *4 fwd & 4 direct friction only
Steel clutch kit (non coated)

Kit includes: 12002C, A12119CHP, 12139...info->

I personally would go with the Red Eagle clutch kit with Koleen steels even though it costs more. The clutch plates have a higher coefficent of holding power. And the steels are coated with Koleen to withstand higher temps. A few bucks for a little insurance. That kit is a number HP53008R-K. And don't forget that's not all you'll need to properly rebuild a transmssion. You'll need a set of bands. There standard bands are sufficient. Either Raybestos or Borg is fine. Whatever is the best deal. Also you need a bushing kit and a new spring and roller kit for the rear sprag and a new set of thrust washers. You'll also need a good reprogramming kit such as a Trans-go TF-2 to get rid of the overlap this trans. has inherently or it won't last long behind a 400 hp engine. Plus I'm sure you'll like scratching the tires when it shifts. You see rebuilding a transmission isn't just slapping in a new set of clutches and steels and seals. It's going through the whole thing and replacing all the normal wear items and shimming out the excess clearance or this 904 isn't going to stand up to 400 hp very long because if you don't take the slop out things beat together and beat each other up. Nice thing about it is more new parts means less time cleaning old parts. don't forget to check all clearances also and make sure their right or it won't work right or won't last long. Good luck.

see this is why i ask alot of questions i hear a bunh of different things

from a stock rebuild will be fine for what im doing

to what you told me

SO WHAT IS IT????? A STOCK REBUILD WITH A SHIFT KIT OR A PERFORMANCE REBUILD WHICH IS WAY MORE

see this is why i ask alot of questions i hear a bunh of different things

from a stock rebuild will be fine for what im doing

to what you told me

SO WHAT IS IT????? A STOCK REBUILD WITH A SHIFT KIT OR A PERFORMANCE REBUILD WHICH IS WAY MORE

Well buddy you will hear alot of things on the boards by alot of people. Some know what they are talking about and some will tell you something and they haven't even taken a transmission apart. I have been rebuilding transmissions for about 25 yrs. now and I learned a long time ago you can do it the cheap way and it may work fine for awhile (but not a long time) or you can spend the extra $100-150 and do it right the first time and not have any trouble with it. Like the old saying goes. Pay me now or pay me later. In other words do it right the first time and you'll have a lot less headaches.

i understand that , i do

but other people have used other kits like TRANSTAR and have held up right and its just hard for me to take one persons advice and stick with it... not saying i wont listen its just hard to do something when you hear alot of things

also that kit doesnt come with bands or anything

what if i bougt a transtar kit and jsut bought the REDLINE CLUTCHES

Most Transtar kits I've seen use Raybestos clutches which are good parts. If you feel comfortable using stock pieces then by all means do it. The main thing is replace every wear item like I mentioned above. Even if you use stock parts. Replace the worn stuff and shim out all the excess clearance because like I said earlier excess clearance will allow movement to slap parts together and beat itself up which dramaticly shortens life. As far as just using the Red Eagle clutches by themselves. Don't waste your money. Without using the Koleen coated steels along with them your not gaining much. A good COMPLETE stock rebuilt like I mentioned above will go a long way to keeping your transmission running a long time. Just don't try throwing new clutch plates at it and expect it to last. Good luck.

im going to get the TRANSTAR box which i beleve includes everything i need

That's a good kit I'm sure. The only thing is I don't think it comes with everything I listed above which should be replaced. I'm sure it doesn't have a sprag roller & spring kit and that should allways be replaced no if's and's or but's. Read my post above again (#4) that shows all the parts I listed and see if the TransStar kit has the rest of the parts I mentioned. If not they don't cost much more to buy them seperately. It's money well spent.

ok no prob. thats only like 1.50

what bout the 5.0 lever?
is there any trick stuff to get or this should be fine

If you get the TF-2 kit, which is probably one of the best reprogram kits out there, they recommend against the 5.0 lever. 4.2 levers are pretty common in 904's and will do you fine. Nobody else mentioned it, but be sure you get the ATSG manual as well as a Mopar factory service manual. Beyond that, keep everything spotless if not cleaner. I tend to wash every piece in lacquer thinner, blow off with an air hose and promptly seal in a ziplock bag. Taking the time to "do your laundry" first, so you have nothing but clean parts, makes reassembly much easier. And as mentioned above double check all clearances, especially the front clutch. Your kit wont have a new pump, but if the old one shows any sign of wear, replace it. New ones are cheap and easy to replace (until you put the transmission into the car.

ok so keep clean, be neat check clearances....with feeler gauges? right

You got it. Clean, clean, clean.

And chief's right. The 4.2 lever is just fine. In some cases it works better.

Most clearances can be checked with a feeler gauge but you'll need a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the input shaft end play.

And don't worry about any other "trick stuff". Just concentrate on rebuilding what you have and install the TF-2 kit and you'll be good.

-
Back