Rebuilding a bench seat

-

Duster_Dean

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I was going to install a pair of buckets to replace the current bench but have changed direction on that.
I want to keep my current bench seat but the drivers side is super soft / cratered like a 400 pound man was driving it for a long time. I sink 6+ inches down when I sit on it (175 lbs here) and it bounces like a trampoline over bumps.

Being a short guy it's a ***** to drive this way.
If it was stiff / hard then I'd be at the correct hight for comfort and safety (sight-line, pedal reach, ect.).
Does anyone here know how to rebuild a bench seat? I would think that the springs are shot along with the foam and anything else that's under the vinal seat cover. I looked for a seat but everything I see for sale, which isn't much, are nasty and in need of rebuilding themselves so I'll redo my own.
I've search the internet and really don't find anything useful.

I just don't know the first place to start for all the parts, tools and steps in refurbishing mine.

TIA for any experience on this!
Dean

I want to keep my current bench seat but the drivers side is super soft / cratered like a 400 pound man was driving it for a long time. I sink 6+ inches down when I sit on it (175 lbs here) and it bounces like a trampoline over bumps.
I know that feeling.. LOL..

I’m guessing from your Duster Dean you have a Duster. It’s possible Legendary might have bench seat upholstery for at least some years. I’d look at their catalog on line.

A local upholstery shop would probably be able to repair the springs as well, and install the Legendary kit. I know the restored bench seat in my Barracuda is very firm and sits very high, but I never saw it before restoration so I don't know how bad it was.

If it was me I’d replace some of the springs on the bench also, along with new legendary foam and vinyl.

Last edited:
They go into it a little bit in this video here. A trick I use with worn out springs is to just zip tie them together so they all support each other and are pulled tighter toward each other. The video gives you a little info on replacing the springs if need be.

Hog ring pliers and hog rings for the seat covers will be a must. Legendary sells rebuild kits as well as the vinyl covers. There are other seat foam manufacturers out there like PUI but I can tell you first hand that they aren't molded correctly and don't fit as well as Legendary. You can make them work but it takes extra effort.

Thanks for all the input. I found a custom auto upolsterer who is going to rebuild the bench seat and then add extra stiffness so there is virtually no sag. The appt is for 8/8/23. Once it's done I'll post a follow-up.

Nothing looks worse than a freshly covered bench seat with a slack loose cover or crooked seams...

Thanks for all the input. I found a custom auto upolsterer who is going to rebuild the bench seat and then add extra stiffness so there is virtually no sag. The appt is for 8/8/23. Once it's done I'll post a follow-up.
Thanks for the report, dan. We REALLY like it when a member asks a question and then gets back to us with their decision based on our inputs. We'd love to see some before and after pictures.

Thanks for the report, dan. We REALLY like it when a member asks a question and then gets back to us with their decision based on our inputs. We'd love to see some before and after pictures.
Will do

Did you finally get your seat repaired, the bench seat in my dart has the exact problem or symptoms as your seat has.

Anyone have the disassembly procedure? I know there is a retaining clip sort of like the hood hinges on the outer side are these available or do I try and save it? then does the seat back slide off at the middle pivot? Inquiring minds want to know...:)

Here is the 'after' pic (albeit not well lit). It shows the new very stiff seating area along with the relief cut-out for the shifter.

Duster bench seat relief.jpg

If it's sagging that badly, you probably have one or more broken springs, look closely. Two were broken in mine. I have some bench seat springs, though different because of they are from a 4 door front seat, but they can be adapted. I also tied the springs together with ty-raps. Get a foam kit , hog ring pliers and rings from a farm supply store. Get your covers from a vendor, not Legendary. Legendary supplies the vendor, you will get it faster.

How do the plastic seat belt retainers come apart where they go through the bench seat and, are they available of they break?

Trying to remember, it's been 2 years. Just pull them out? Sorry, not sure.

How do the plastic seat belt retainers come apart where they go through the bench seat and, are they available of they break?
1969 Application

Edit: correction.

This shows that All Bench attach to the front.
(All bench seat applications) (View in circle X)

69 front seat belt bolts.JPG

I think they screw in from the bottom the buckets do. Replacements are available here and classic as well.

Photo is from buckets, I fabricated the metal angle bracket .

20240131_195755.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking that he was asking about the plastic inserts under the seat back bottom.

-
Back