rebuilding a lower door hinge?

-

ul4evr

Reaction score
i bought my wife a 72 340 swinger a month ago. it's a 20 footer. (looks great 20 feet away)
anyway the lower driver door hinge is sloopy. looks like the pin is wore out, i don't want to buy a new hinge cause it won't match the rest of the door parts in color and patina.
i've been a motorcycle mechanic for over 40 yrs so i know my way around a wrench and which end of the screw driver to use.. lol
my question is.. how hard is it to rebuild the old one?? i have never rebuilt a automotive door hinge, EVER! i see the rebuild kits come with brass or bronze bushings do i have to machine pieces?
any help and info is greatly appreciated...
thanks
Pete

Pretty easy to change the bushings, drill out to the right size, insert bushings and then the pin. Just need a drill, a drill press is best.

There was a member here doing that as a service but I don't know who.

lowers don't have bushings, so the easiest way to rebuild is to oversize the pins. The kit from restorick works great and comes with new springs which are always worn.

Restorations by Rick Kreuziger - Product and Component Restoration Detailed Information
I bought a kit, that had bushings and pins in it on ebay. w/ the door off I drilled the body side hinge holes out, and pressed the bushing in w/ a pair of humongous channel locks. Worked very well. No machining , or big trouble .
Putting the door back was the biggest pain.

I have good luck with the kits from year one.
They require you to drill the holes out oversize, install the bushings, then ream them to pin size.
There kits will do all 4 hinges for around $30.

Thanks everybody. was going to get the kit from Year one also..
thanks again
Pete

I have good luck with the kits from year one.
They require you to drill the holes out oversize, install the bushings, then ream them to pin size.
There kits will do all 4 hinges for around $30.

I ordered the drill bit and reamer from McMaster-Carr, it was cheaper than the local Fasten-all and shipped to my house.

-
Back