rebuilding hood hinges

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever rebuilt A body hood hinges to eliminate the slack.

I am getting ready to finish paint a pair of hinges but the slack in them worries me and I don't think anyone re-pops them.

any ideas?

I think the easiest way would be drilling out the two holes on the hinge up one drill size where it mounts to the body pins, and then make a thin sleeve to slide over the original pins on the body to make it fit nice and snug again. This is most likely what I'll do with my car when the time comes... All the play on my hinges are from worn pins/oblonged holes. Doing it this way would give you an invisible repair and you can still use the factory retainer clips.

there is a cool thread here somewhere by member Ryan Ward. Inspired by his thread and after trading some pms my plan is to install a sleeve (bushing) over the pin on the car to correct the out of round condition that is caused by the metal to metal contact. Then to correct the slop in the rivet like Ryan did, drill out the rivet and replace with an appropriate sized bushing.

The big rivet is the biggest issue with these. Drill oversize and source a larger rivet or just send them to SMS and they will fix them for you.

-
Back