Rebuilding My Slant!

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
i im rebuilding my slant 6 225 for my 68 dodge dart. looks like its getting the works to ive already ordered the clifford intake, hooker headers, over sized vavle and a 4 barrel carb! im rebuilding the bottom end with oversized pistons and pump gas freindly compression. lloks like its not gonna be a 18.35 single throat slant anymore!

i wanna run 3.55 gears in an 8.75 but don't want to go down the freeway topped out. tire sizes, ideas??

its a daily driver, auto, S/S springs
:read2:

If you had 3.23's and a 25" tire you would be at around 70 @ 3000 RPM.
To do that with 3.55's you would need a 28" tire.

What RPM are you wanting to run on the freeway?

I would reccomend the 3.23's behind the slant. I have a 2.93,and its great for my Daily Driver 67.But a little more gear would be nice.If you are going all out with the motor why not rebuild the 904 with 998 guts for the better first? Would make you very happy with the 3.23's from a dead start,but not kill you with RPM on the highway.Thats my plan when I can afford to rebuild my slant.Till then im sticking with the 2.93's and going with a super six and some head work for a little more umph!

Also not sure what your plans are for exhaust but I would reccomend a y pipe for your headers into a single 2 1/4 pipe.Its an inline motor,not meant to have dual pipes.The Y will give you a scavaging effect for more power and mileage,also the single pipe will cut down on high RPM resonance,to make it a little more liveable for daily driving. Just my .02

Dare I ask how much your head work is gonna cost? So far my best price has been about $580 for having it shaved .100, cut for 1.70/1.44 valves w/ hardened seats, a bowl blend and some minor porting.

Dare I ask how much your head work is gonna cost? So far my best price has been about $580 for having it shaved .100, cut for 1.70/1.44 valves w/ hardened seats, a bowl blend and some minor porting.

That's not bad, I was thinking about getting the cliford head for $1100 but I would rather find a place to do it for that. Would they dicount it if they were doing more than one?

Jim

I don't know about a discount, that's just the price they quoted me. I already have the big valves from engnbldr(beautiful work there), and spelled out what I wanted done. I've also got to get my hands on a head to send out. The place I'm quoting is located in Rochester, NY. I know shipping could get a bit pricey for both ways. Also, from what I've heard, Clifford's good for what parts they make(headers), but as far as other things, generally they can be found from another source cheaper.

Clifford told me shipping was $85 each way, Cal to florida and the core charge is more than the shipping so you still are paying the shipping both ways. Can you pm me with the contact info for that place you found and how did you find them?

Jim

here's the email:

It would be $140 to do a 5 angle valve job w/ big valves. $150 to mill the head .100 , $90 to install hardened exhaust seats (including the seats) and about $200 for port work depending on time. I have a flow bench and have a lot of porting experience. Thanks Matt @ AMP (585) 330-0102.

His email is [email protected]

This shop happens to be in the Rochester NY area. Odds are, you could save on shipping by finding a local shop.

Thanks for the info. i tried one small place around the corner and he said $1500 but there is a big shop here in town that I will try but I don't think they will be near that.

Jim

You might even want to consider apprentice level guys...the one who I've got milling up some custom carb adapters...he's a local university student who's part of their Formula race team...hence the low $/hour rate for his time.

i im rebuilding my slant 6 225 for my 68 dodge dart. looks like its getting the works to ive already ordered the clifford intake, hooker headers, over sized vavle and a 4 barrel carb! im rebuilding the bottom end with oversized pistons and pump gas freindly compression. lloks like its not gonna be a 18.35 single throat slant anymore!

i wanna run 3.55 gears in an 8.75 but don't want to go down the freeway topped out. tire sizes, ideas??

its a daily driver, auto, S/S springs
:read2:

What happend to this guy that started this thread? Did you get the info you needed?

hey WOW lots of great info!

so it sounds like 3.23's for gears. its still my daily driver so i want streetable gears but off the line go!

isfar as the head work i am having an old timer help me with the head work. and he is running 11's on the bottle.

i have a line on a 727 for my dart.

also i have the hooker headers which have a single 2.50 inch collector

keep on with the info!

-
Back