Rebuilding open diff - parts ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
What parts do I need to rebuild an open diff ? And where do I find them ?
Shims ? Bearings ? Spider gears/shafts ?
I have googled and searched Rock Auto etc with no results .
Seems like I watched a youtube video a few years ago .

I have several suregrips but think a tight open carrier will work well on moderate powered cars.

No .. I want to rebuild the open carrier.
I have that set already .Its for the ring and pinion and side bearings.

Believe he is looking for the open differential rebuild parts. Cross Shaft, new spider gears, new side gears and wear washers.

Just about impossible to find anywhere for the 8 3/4s.

Just found these 2 new spider gears on E-bay. NOS

Screenshot_20220517-234744_Firefox.jpg

20220517_234949.jpg

I keep my eye out for good used center sections. Most of the differentials are worn though. 2 spider gear setups.

The nice part about the Sure-grip differentials is they have 4 spider gears and they are much stronger. And way kess likely to "Clunk" when you put them into gear.

Plentiful on the aftermarket too, Dr. Diff has them around 500. Sometimes you got to throw some money at this stuff so you can get on to the next items.

Good point ... You would think there would still be parts available considering how many were produced .

Here is a used 8 3/4 open diff that has been cleaned up and inspected.
75 bucks.

Could be some good parts there. Just never know how much the cross shaft is worn in the case. Maybe the side gears are good though.

Screenshot_20220518-000312_Firefox.jpg

20220518_000222.jpg

I have 3 or 4 of them already . I was just thinking about disassembling them and micing the parts. If I could just get the shims that would take up a lot of the slack .

Like to try to keep the open diffs going. Gets hard to get them to tighten Up with used parts though.

Clunker rear ends.

Seems like Chrysler would have had warehouses full of rebuild parts for them . I guess people just gradually grew used to the noises and didnt have it addressed.

-
Back