Rebuilt 360 ?

-

HemiTM

Reaction score
I picked up a 1972 360 with a 727 this weekend for $50.00. No kidding....$50.00. The motor has been sitting in a garage since 1984. When I started to tear it down today I noticed a few things that made me think the motor had been rebuilt before. One thing in particular. What appeared to be blue RTV in the area of the distributor. Any suggestions on what to look for to be certain if it has been rebuilt or not? The previous owner knew nothing about the motor.

Thanks

Over sized pistons first of all. Upgraded timing chain from single to dual roller. undersized bearings. etc.

Nice! I spent $75 today filling the wife's Suv...........lol. Measure a bore, if it's .020, .030, .040 over etc. you'll know someone has been in it.

How easy does it turn?
When was it last run?
How clean is the inside of the block?
There is a reason the motor was pulled from the car. Maybe an wreck .........just saying.... or something is broke.
$50.00 its worth that if the worst case it is scrap metal.
You may get lucky,

When I took off the valve cover I expected to find sludge. There was none. The motor turns freely. Carbon on top of pistons. Previous owner was not a wealth of info.

I would tear it down and measure everything, a fel-pro gasket set is cheap, plus you can clean every thing.

Do the cylinders still have crosshatching? And do any of the rods have excessive movement when you wiggle them? When i checked my 440 the other day it was the same situation. Clean as a new motor under the valve cover and spun free. I guess someone had pulled it for a project and decided they needed the scrap money so they tossed it. Not a thing wrong with it from what i can tell. They may have had the same plan, pull it and put it in something else but lost interest.

Had a buddy come over amd measure the cylinder. Found out they are .030 over. Now I will have some extra money to put into more "J" head work.

-
Back