Rebuilt 904. Whirring. Dead?

-
ya ive checked the fluid level in park and neutral and they were both the same level

That's only possible if a modified manual valve was installed. I've owned so many Mopars I can't remember and all have checked much higher on the dipstick when in park, virtually the same level as with the engine shut off. I actually did state it wrong when I said it does not pump in park because it does pump, it just doesn't fill the converter. That's why they check high in park compared to neutral.

Sorry to dig up my old thread, but for those who are interested the cause of the problem was found.

I took the trans to a reputable trans builder who specializes in building tuff-as-nails 904's.

He had it apart in minutes and it was discovered that the output shaft used was a slant-six one and had been fitted into a V8 planetary gear set.

Admittedly an easy mistake to make as they are nearly identical aside from the pitch of the teeth on the end, however also a costly one.

The slant six output shaft and brand new steel planetary has been partially sheared and sent fragments of steel around the entire trans and converter which are now being cleaned out and reconditioned.

Luckily there is only very minor scuffing to the planetary set and it will be salvageable and still stronger than an alloy one.

The Slant six and V8 output shaft look remarkably similar.

I hope this might help would-be trans builders take note to avoid making the same costly mistake that was made on my trans!

Cheers, Frosty.

Too late now, but I was going to suggest that it was a stripped planetary center so the short teeth on the output shaft makes sense.
Either that or the snap ring was missing or came off the output shaft tip where it holds the planetary gear on the shaft and it slipped back and out of the planet.

Nice that you got it.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner.

Cheers TrailBeast. good or bad, it's all experience.

I learned more about transmissions from having one fly to pieces internally then watching it pulled apart with a short explanation of what goes on in there than I probably ever would have otherwise.

One day I might even get keen and try to build one myself. :D

Cheers TrailBeast. good or bad, it's all experience.

I learned more about transmissions from having one fly to pieces internally then watching it pulled apart with a short explanation of what goes on in there than I probably ever would have otherwise.

One day I might even get keen and try to build one myself. :D

They are pretty easy to do, except for a few potentialy expensive pitfalls.
Like putting in a pump gear set thats thicker than the pump housing, or not flushing the cooler lines after something blows up.

-
Back