rebuilt my own 727 tran. 2nd gear shift ???

-

abodyhotrod

Reaction score
so heres what my tranny is doing wrong, when 2nd gear hits it almost seems to have a brake apply feeling then goes..it does not hit like it has.. it acually use to spin them when 2nd hit with 2:73s gears and no stall, w/both 2500 stall and 3900 stall and 4:11s it will not slip the back tires in 2nd gear.. thats why i need your help..what ajustment did i do wrong 3rd gear hits just fine and hard but 2nd gear dogs me now..:angry7: please help

so heres what my tranny is doing wrong, when 2nd gear hits it almost seems to have a brake apply feeling then goes..it does not hit like it has.. it acually use to spin them when 2nd hit with 2:73s gears and no stall, w/both 2500 stall and 3900 stall and 4:11s it will not slip the back tires in 2nd gear.. thats why i need your help..what ajustment did i do wrong 3rd gear hits just fine and hard but 2nd gear dogs me now..:angry7: please help

OK this is most likely the 2nd band is not releasing with the high clutch comes on, so you see the nose of the car dip. Try to loosen the band at least 1/2 -1 turn and see if that helps? Also as mentioned what are you using for a valve body and or shift kit?

Also did you make sure you had enough clearance in the forward and direct drums? Common issue I have seen many times is the clutch plates are to tight against the pressure plate. But take a look at the band 1st. Also is this is the same during a manual shift?

Did you change the intermediate lever, do anything with the acumalator piston etc?

valve body is stock with a stage 2 shift kit, that i must say worked and hit hard in 2nd before i rebuilt.did not check any clearance just soaked clutch plates and put back together.i really hope thats not the prob.my kickdown and other band are what i hope are just off a bit. when you say 2nd you mean smaller band and 1st as the kickdown..am i getting this right .. it does as well happen in manual shift 1 to 2nd 3rd hits good(hard)either way.should i loosen the kickdown... when i recently replaced the pan to a moroso deep pan i noticed the smaller band seemed really loose. i turned it in 1 and seemed to do nothing..if your telling me to backoff the kickdown a 1/2 thats simple and i can deal... than again am i translating this right.. thanks for your help.. willing and ready to learn AbodyHotRod las vegas

do you have an inch lbs toeque wrench?

You are suppose to tighten the band 2nd gear that is the front band i nthe trans closest to the engine to 72 inch lbs, then start with 2 whole turns out from there and lock it down. I do not recall on the TF2 kit, but I think it is suppose to be somewhere in the 1 1/2 to 2 turn range.

Kick down is the linkage to the carb. The less slack the longre the trans will take to shift at a given posistion on the gas pedal along with the speed on the output shaft in relation to the pressures of the governor. This is depends which gear you are in. It is all about timing on getting a good trans shift. How hard parts engage is not the main reason a trans shifts hard. Or what we like to say firm. The shifts should be firm and quick, the nose of the car should neve feel like it is dipping. That is a result of to much overlap in th eshift points or 2 gears on at the same time for a point in time. This results in not only poor performance but will wear the trans early.

Check all the basics 1st, fluild level, smell, and color, band adjust ments, and kick down linkage. If all these areas are ok you could have a sticking valve i nth evalve body or it may be an internal clearance issue.

I always check all clearances, not all replacement plates, clutches etc are the same thickness as the origionals or from kit to kit.

good luck bud!

.................The single biggest problem with the -2 is that ppl never add in enough clearance, then blame the shift kit.....front band, adjuster on outside of case, known as kickdown band adj as follows 5.0 lever 1 1/2 turns out from 72 in lbs, 4.2 1 3/4 turns, 3.8 2 turns, 3.2 2 1/4 turns, 2.8 ratio 2 1/2 turns........this is not gospel, so u can vairy it some either direction...rear band , known as low/reverse, pan needs to come off, minimun adj is 2 turns u can go as much as 3 turns if need b , because what is happening is that the l/r band is not releasing before the k/d band is appling......did u make sure there is a spacer in the l/w servo as well as the heavy spring?...also if u block the accumilator piston with a 2.85 in rod or tube [ on the inside of the piston , up into the case ] it will help the 1-2 shift...U still neen propper clearance in the clutch packs, but usually u have a 2-3 shift bindup if clearance is on the tight side..........kim......u can p/m me if u need anymore help.......

-
Back