Rechrome bumper tri city

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Hey al,
im in the process in getting to replace my front fiberglas bumper to a metal.
I was wondering if anybody can share there experience.
Good or bad results from a reproduction or a rechrome.
The rechrome is alittle bit more money but i think in the long run a rechrome might be a better choice?
And if anybody is interested in the fiber glass id be happy to sell it when i get the new one.
thanks Johnny

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In my experience doing a rechrome has been better. The original bumpers seem thicker and the chrome shop I use is phenomenal and cheaper than an after market.
They straighten and repair anything that needs to be done, remove all dings and dents, even rechrome the bolts. They strip everything first and then use the triple dip process after polishing. For my Demon they charged $275 each for the front and back. That is their flat rate and my bumpers were not in good shape. The cheapest I have found aftermarket is around $300 apiece once shipped. Just some info from my own experience.

Tri-Cities chrome seems a little brittle but maybe that's the way they all are. The chrome on my Challenger bumper guards cracked when I tightened them down. Tri-City stood behind it though and redid them for free.

Who do you use for your re-chrome work? I have 2 72 Demon Bumpers I may want to have re chromed.

thanks all
I think Mr FT was asking you this question

In my experience doing a rechrome has been better. The original bumpers seem thicker and the chrome shop I use is phenomenal and cheaper than an after market.
They straighten and repair anything that needs to be done, remove all dings and dents, even rechrome the bolts. They strip everything first and then use the triple dip process after polishing. For my Demon they charged $275 each for the front and back. That is their flat rate and my bumpers were not in good shape. The cheapest I have found aftermarket is around $300 apiece once shipped. Just some info from my own experience.

Okay :)

I use a family run place in Austin, Texas which is near me. It's called Cen-Tex Plating.

Tri-Cities chrome seems a little brittle but maybe that's the way they all are. The chrome on my Challenger bumper guards cracked when I tightened them down. Tri-City stood behind it though and redid them for free.

Yea, you know mine did the same thing. I bought a redone bumper from Tri City and it cracked like that around the bolt heads. I figured I over tightened it but maybe they do have a brittle chrome process???

I had both my bumpers rechromed on my Duster at Tri-City in Tn. and have had no problems with the chrome cracking or turning. I am well pleased with them and will be sending the Dart Sport bumpers to them also.

From what I have read before, all reproduction bumpers for B'cuda have holes for bumperettes / bumper guards. If that's still the case you would need those parts or additional bolts at least to fill their extra holes.
My choice would be rechrome on the very nicest cores I could find.
In any case I would put as much time and effort as necessary in correcting the new bumper to bumper brace fit OFF THE CAR ! Reason being, the braces are the stronger metal. if those braces are bent ( common after 40+ years ) the bumper metal will conform to them. Cracks in chrome could result.

Paul's in western pa is expensive but the best I have found. If there are any imperfections they fix them it will come out better than new

I bought a re-chromed rear bumper for my duster off a re-chromer on e-bay and when i put it on it flaked around the bolt holes-called the guy he paid for shipping back to him and shipping back to me and also reimbursed me my original shipping and sent a new bumper out and have had absolutely no issues and came with a 2-year warranty-got my front tri-city and if you look close at it you can see where they welded up the jack holes to make it a 70 bumper called them about it and they told me to pound sand and would not do anything about it--I don't remember the e-bay's guy name but he stood behind his work,he was from California so i think he was a broker or something because the tree huggers out there don't allow chroming --Steve

I found him D&D chrome on e-bay--With warranty---Steve

High line plating Cuba Mo 800 596 5473 no problems so far. Have bumpers and other chrome since 2005

-
Back