Recommend an AC system for my 68 Barracuda

-
The Classic Auto Air web site states that the kits come with a Sanden brand compressor. The Classic Auto Air kit that I installed came with a Sanden compressor.

The kit I bought in 2016 did not come with a Sanden compressor.

When I questioned Classic Auto Air about it they said the “Sanden Style” compressor supplied with the Perfect Fit system had a 5 warranty and the genuine Sanden compressors that they used to supply only had a one year warranty.

I was not happy about it and reviewed the Classic Auto Air brochures I had and on-line, and it did in fact say “Sanden Style” compressor.

Unless they’ve changed back, they supply Sanden “Style” compressor in their kits now.

I’m sure I have a copy of that brochure somewhere. I’ll post it if I find it.

Last edited:
508? I think is a popular Sanden number? Whichever one is most popular and not out of this world. But do be careful, as there are a LOT of really crappy ones. READ the fine print and steer clear of things like "Sanden type". Translation: "Fits where a Sanden does but is a total POS"

As far as replacement parts such as drier and whatnot, I always check my local big box stores first. Often they can get what you need with no stupid shipping charges involved.

FWIW, looks like a Sanden 709 is also an acceptable compressor

When I questioned Classic Auto Air about it they said the “Sanden Style” compressor supplied with the Perfect Fit system had a 5 warranty and the genuine Sanden compressors that they used to supply only had a one year warranty.

I was not happy about it and reviewed the Classic Auto Air brochures I had and on-line, and it did in fact say “Sanden Style” compressor.

Unless they’ve changed back, they supply Sanden “Style” compressor in their kits now.

In my fairly recent Classic Industries catalog, all of the descriptions for the Classic Auto Air kits say "Sanden Style"

In my fairly recent Classic Industries catalog, all of the descriptions for the Classic Auto Air kits say "Sanden Style"
They could also just be covering their butts and stay in the game in case the actual Sanden supply dries up (like so many other products right now)... When is the last time you bought an ignition module or oil pressure sender, for example; that was actually made by Ma Mopar or the original supplier? As long as they stand by the warranty on the compressor, rock and roll.

They could also just be covering their butts and stay in the game in case the actual Sanden supply dries up (like so many other products right now)... When is the last time you bought an ignition module or oil pressure sender, for example; that was actually made by Ma Mopar or the original supplier? As long as they stand by the warranty on the compressor, rock and roll.

When I spoke to the Classic Air tech rep back in 2016 he said they stopped using the genuine Sanden in favour of the Sanden copy due to 4 years of more warranty. (I’m pretty certain it was cheaper for them to buy too).

Just look at the Classic Air web site.
The Classic Air kit that I installed two years ago included a Sanden compressor with a serial number on a label with a hologram intended to make counterfeiting more difficult. I really don’t know what they were doing 5 years ago, but today the Classic Air website says Sanden Brand.

I did the Classic Air in my 67 last year. I can now enjoy driving here in Texas during the summer. Went for a cruise Sunday was 102. My wife goes with me now. Was about a 16 hour install. In the Texas heat. Glad you went with Classic. Vintage air is 5 miles from my house and their service is horrible.

I bit the bullet and ordered the kit from Classic Auto Air.
6 week lead time.

Jeff

I was just posting some of the issues I had with the Classic Kit and I saw that you had ordered a kit.

One of the hoses to the compressor was manufactured too short. There was no way it would reach the compressor with the ports upright. They suggested I turn the compressor on it’s side so the ports pointed toward the passenger side. I tried it but the metal fitting was hitting something else and it looked like **** anyway. They send me a longer hose.

One of the hoses to the condenser has a defective crimp which leaked the entire refrigerant a few days after it was filled. They sent me a new hose.

One of the schrader valves in the service port leaked very slowly. I found this out when the system wouldn’t turn on due to low system pressure after the winter. They sent me new schrader valves.

Despite these issues I’m still glad I got A/C in my Dart.

I had my hoses sent uncrimmped and longer. I crimped them myself. My application was a lot different I have a 5.7 in mine.

I was just posting some of the issues I had with the Classic Kit and I saw that you had ordered a kit.

One of the hoses to the compressor was manufactured too short. There was no way it would reach the compressor with the ports upright. They suggested I turn the compressor on it’s side so the ports pointed toward the passenger side. I tried it but the metal fitting was hitting something else and it looked like **** anyway. They send me a longer hose.

One of the hoses to the condenser has a defective crimp which leaked the entire refrigerant a few days after it was filled. They sent me a new hose.

One of the schrader valves in the service port leaked very slowly. I found this out when the system wouldn’t turn on due to low system pressure after the winter. They sent me new schrader valves.

Despite these issues I’m still glad I got A/C in my Dart.
How long have you had the system? Did you get a Sanden Style compressor? Hows it holding up? Not all chinkle stuff is bad, so Im just curious

I had my hoses sent uncrimmped and longer. I crimped them myself. My application was a lot different I have a 5.7 in mine.
I also did that, to clean up the engine compartment I ran the ac hoses through the passenger side wheel well with one to the condenser and the other hose across the radiator support to the compressor. A bit more length to the hoses but they are hidden.

I also did that, to clean up the engine compartment I ran the ac hoses through the passenger side wheel well with one to the condenser and the other hose across the radiator support to the compressor. A bit more length to the hoses but they are hidden.
A photo of the AC lines as they exit the firewall and go through the passenger side inner fender. I used steel lines for these two Z shaped connectors, standard AC barrier hose is in the fender well.

DE8B66FF-DB79-4560-99A8-84D7CE21F4D3.jpeg

How long have you had the system? Did you get a Sanden Style compressor? Hows it holding up? Not all chinkle stuff is bad, so Im just curious

I bought the kit in late 2016 and installed it in the summer of 2017. My kit came with a “Sanden Style” compressor. No problems with it so far…

One thing I did notice with the system is that after constant operation of over one and a half hours or so, I notice the vent output air temperature starts to slowly rise indicating that the evaporator is starting to freeze up. After shutting down the system for 30 minutes or so, the vent output temp returns to around 34-36 degrees.

Also, I modified a factory chrome louvre A/C vent box to fit the Classic Auto ducting, rather than using the supplied plastic vents. I think it looks much better.

I went with the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit unit for my 69 Barracuda. The system was, truly, a perfect fit, it works great and the quality is great. When I put mine in about 12-15 years ago, the instructions were terrible, but they were improved. Definitely go with Classic Auto Air. RRR is right about factory air being best, but an original factory setup could be quite pricey.

I went with the Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit unit for my 69 Barracuda. The system was, truly, a perfect fit, it works great and the quality is great. When I put mine in about 12-15 years ago, the instructions were terrible, but they were improved. Definitely go with Classic Auto Air. RRR is right about factory air being best, but an original factory setup could be quite pricey.

It's good to know somebody makes a quality kit, cause it sure as HELL ain't Vintage Air.

That's what I will do if I decide to go with A/C. I'll get all the hoses 10' long, because if I do it, I plan to hide as much of the hoses as possible and the drier too. That's my one pet peeve about an engine bay. I cannot STAND it MESSY. ...and not trying to get off track, but, that's why I'll likely never put a turbo on anything. They work great, but they always look like *** with all the hoses, lines and wires runnin everywhere. So far I haven't seen an install I think is really clean enough for ME.

It's good to know somebody makes a quality kit, cause it sure as HELL ain't Vintage Air.
I had heard that about Vintage Air. I heard that their universal hot rod systems were pretty good, but that was it. I had read that The Classic Auto Air Perfect fit units fit pretty well.

I have a 1968 Barracuda that is a non-AC car - never had AC.
I went to the VintageAir website, went through the "Select make, year, model" routine, and they don't have a system for my vehicle. ......

What system would ya'll recommend? Link?
I'm in Southern California and I want a seriously insane amount of cooling....like for a school bus!!!!
Not kidding. .....I'm ALWAYS hot......I like serious AC.

Any ideas?!! Thanks in advance!

View attachment 1715774447

Jeff
Which ever system you use be prepared to perform a major upgrade to your cooling system, Radiator, 18 inch mechanical fan, high flow water pump and t stat. I highly recommend Griffin radiators over the off shore brands.
I have used Griffin on 3 cars with A/C all performed very well.

Which ever system you use be prepared to perform a major upgrade to your cooling system, Radiator, 18 inch mechanical fan, high flow water pump and t stat. I highly recommend Griffin radiators over the off shore brands.
I have used Griffin on 3 cars with A/C all performed very well.

I went with Classic Auto Air - it arrived Saturday!
Im upgrading to a 26" radiator from Cold-Case (already in my garage! ) and a 3300cfm electric fan.

Jeff

-
Back