recommendations for painting inside frame rails?

-

fez440

Reaction score
hi guys, so i have started working on the trunk floor in my car and am wondering what is the best option to clean up the surface rust on the inside of the frame rails and seal it?

You can buy it at lordco and mopac in langley. A little go's a long ways.

i have heard that its a 3 part process and you have to follow it in order to make it work properly. is that true?

The 3 parts are degreasing, acid etching and painting. You could skip the acid etching, but if there is any oil or grease on the metal, this step is a must.

The POR15 paint is activated by exposure to humidity.

The 3 parts are degreasing, acid etching and painting. You could skip the acid etching, but if there is any oil or grease on the metal, this step is a must.

The POR15 paint is activated by exposure to humidity.

ok thanks for the info, i will see if i can find some

Eastwood makes a product to do this and the can comes with a hose with a 360 degree spray pattern look it up on eastwoods site--I believe it is a one step process--Steve

Eastwood makes a product to do this and the can comes with a hose with a 360 degree spray pattern look it up on eastwoods site--I believe it is a one step process--Steve

thanks for the info but im trying to find something i can buy local here in canada. like at napa or lordco

There are paint guns designed for this with a wand and a nozzle on them.

Then you can try to blow out and sand blast out inside the frame rails as much as possible.

I assume you have the car disassembled and doing a resto or similar?

I sand blasted inside my rails from every hole possible for hours. Then used air blower for hours getting all the sand out, then used the eastwood insideframe cans.

My friend who is a pro told me about the paint gun that sprays whatever you want out a tube.

http://oemproamtools.com/undercoat.htm (Ontario company I believe)

Here are some units that will blast out paint or product. Coating in frame tubes is a messy process.

You could fill them with epoxy and soak inside your frame rails.

As you spray, running the tube all around in the frame, the epoxy or coating flys out thru all the open holes and drains all over the floor too.

I did inside every rail, behind all reenforcments and hidden chambers after blasting the car but before epoxy.

I drilled a couple holes in my rocker at the bottom and used a screwdriver to open up the factory chamber drains (pinch openings) and did the blasting, air blowing and internal coating in the rocker chambers too.

I followed up the internal cavities with soaking and blasting the seams with epoxy from a cheap gravity gun at high pressure to force epoxy into the seams.

Then I followed with seam sealer after the epoxy on seams had hardened for a couple days, then epoxy all, then paint. The epoxy I used is direct metal etching and has a window of 7 days. Versatile and very durable.

See below, hope this helps in some way:

Attachments

• (211).jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 289
  • (212).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 319
  • (213).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 308
  • (214).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 311
  • (219).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 324
  • (220).jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 293
thanks for the info, i went with por 15 as thats what they had at the store. i just have to do inside the trunk frame rails as the rest of the car is blasted and sealed.. should work ill make sure to clean it reall good.

-
Back