Recommended carb for 440 Duster with 4 speed?

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Hi FABO!

I'm rebuilding (finally) the little 600 cfm 1850 Holley that came with the 440 I'm building. Not sure if it will stay in use... Wondering thoughts and opinions on what this motor might run better with. The 440 is going to have a dual plane intake, most likely the 2355 six pack pistons. The camshaft I'm looking at is.480 with a [email protected] duration. Most likely Schumacher headers and the rear will be 8 1/4 with probably 3.55 gears. I dont have a brand dedication so Im curious on what others like and why.

Thanks,
Dale

850-950, a big Thermoquad or a six pack. Be carful of the heat crossover. I block mine and still use a good insulator gasket.

Thanks mguner, I'm new to the Carters but I've read they are a good match to the mopars. As impressive a look as the six-pack is I'll stick with a single unit. Wow thats a bigger size than I was expecting hahaa I guess that lil 600 was wayyy small.

I have a 280/484 hydraulic cam in my 0.060 over 440 and it loves lots of carb. I've rum a six pack with two 500s and a 280, a tunnel ram with two 650 2 barrels (about like a split 1050) and a 950 procomp double pumper on a CH4B with a 4" spacer and it loves them all! A 750 will get you by but you will want those extra ponies.

750s Holley's are usually the easiest to find at a reasonable cost if you don't mind rebuilding.
3310 vac. Sec. Or 4778 dbl pump. Depending on your preference.
See them at every swap or in everyones spare parts stash regardless of brand loyalty.
Just beware of drilled air bleeds or missing parts that can turn them into a parts carb only.
A 600 is a little small unless it is to be used on a low rpm granny geared truck application.

Thanks cuda20 I will have to read up on the Quick-Fuels. I'm gonna have to kick that 600 up a few notches!

Good info ssba. I'm liking the rebuilding part... wish I had a good solution for getting the finish to look proper tho. I'm going to mist this one with Eastwoods "Carb Renew 2". Its fuel-proof and seems to be a convincing color. I'll get some pics when I'm done.

You can improve the flow on that 600 a few CFM by removing the choke horn and blending in the air horn edges similar to a proform.

58667100_L.jpg

Hmmm another question... Modding my 1850 to make it usable ? I don't anticipate much high RPM's (above 5000)

Low end and midrange with the 600 is great but the bigger carb is eye opening!

If I go the Carter/TQ route whats some good models to keep an eye out for?

-
Back