Recovering Seats

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
The 72 Dart I just got came with new front and rear seat covers not installed. The seats sag a little and you can feel the springs in the bottom. I have never done seats so lack any knowledge. How can I make the spring new again, before I change the covers. Any info and tips will help.
Thanks

If you can "feel" the springs in the seat bottoms, you would most likely need to re-foam the seats. Check out some of the Mopar parts suppliers (like Layson's, Legendary, Year one, etc.), should only be about $200 or so for a pair of bucket seats. Others will most likely chime in with more info as well.

Ninety percent of a good seat recover job is to be sure the springs and foam are doing their job. You have to have a good foundation. Replace any bad springs, refasten springs where needed, paint frames, and use new foam. Once seat is rebuilt it will last for a long time.

There are some how to vidios on the Ledgendary web site and if you look around there is alot of information on the web.

I have done more than I would like to remember, My tip and better for you because you live so far south, pick a warm day and a few hours before installing these, lay them out in the sun. If you have a car that has a dark paint job even better, lay them on the car so they will get nice and warm. This will make the install much easier to do, and less chance you will rip a seam when you stretch them.

Should have included that it's a front bench with the fold down arm rest. Don't know if that changes anything, but thanks for all the tips.

Local uphostery store. Join the women in there. They have everything, And sewing machines; bet they could redo it.

-
Back