Red headed step child 360

-

Fisho

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I have lots of parts kicking around, I have a Duster in the garage with a 360 in it.

Combo as it sits right now.

74 360, rering and bearing special stock everything else long block wise
Mopar M1 dual plane
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
MSD 6a firing a Chrysler electronic distributor, MSD streetfire wires
1 5/8" long tube headers
2.5" true dual exhaust with 12" glasspacks exiting just ahead of rear tires
727 with shift kit and 2800 stall
3.55 suregrip 8 3/4" out back
275/60r15 rears
Inboard springs with 002/003 super stocks
Weight I would guess about 3300lbs?

What I have on the shelf that I'm tempted to throw on.

Fresh rebuilt 308 cylinder heads. 1.88/1.60 with 3 angle valve job. Stock ports but will most likely clean them up a bit.

Cam Dynamics 284 H12 cam. 228°@.050, 284 duration, .480 lift, 112 lsa single pattern hydraulic.

Cloyes 9-2103 double roller timing chain. Can adjust cam timing +/- 2° with it.

Offenhauser dual quad tunnel ram. It's called the Turbo Thrust 360° Power Port.

So things I think I know.
-compression is low for suggested combo.
-308s I've heard are a good head to have

Am I cracked for thinking about slapping this all together? If I do should I use the current carb and add another Edelbrock 600 or pick up some Holleys? I've been leaning towards a pair of 1850s that my buddy has sitting on the shelf.

I do have another 360 that I want to build a proper short block with. Probably KB 107s, have the Eagle SIR rods already, will use the stock crank. Problem is that's at least a year out from getting built.

There's a pic of my Duster for poops and giggles.

20200815_095713.jpg

So here's the deal. I have lots of parts kicking around, I have a Duster in the garage with a 360 in it.

Combo as it sits right now.

74 360, rering and bearing special stock everything else long block wise
Mopar M1 dual plane
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm carb
MSD 6a firing a Chrysler electronic distributor, MSD streetfire wires
1 5/8" long tube headers
2.5" true dual exhaust with 12" glasspacks exiting just ahead of rear tires
727 with shift kit and 2800 stall
3.55 suregrip 8 3/4" out back
275/60r15 rears
Inboard springs with 002/003 super stocks
Weight I would guess about 3300lbs?

What I have on the shelf that I'm tempted to throw on.

Fresh rebuilt 308 cylinder heads. 1.88/1.60 with 3 angle valve job. Stock ports but will most likely clean them up a bit.

Cam Dynamics 284 H12 cam. 228°@.050, 284 duration, .480 lift, 112 lsa single pattern hydraulic.

Cloyes 9-2103 double roller timing chain. Can adjust cam timing +/- 2° with it.

Offenhauser dual quad tunnel ram. It's called the Turbo Thrust 360° Power Port.

So things I think I know.
-compression is low for suggested combo.
-308s I've heard are a good head to have

Am I cracked for thinking about slapping this all together? If I do should I use the current carb and add another Edelbrock 600 or pick up some Holleys? I've been leaning towards a pair of 1850s that my buddy has sitting on the shelf.

I do have another 360 that I want to build a proper short block with. Probably KB 107s, have the Eagle SIR rods already, will use the stock crank. Problem is that's at least a year out from getting built.

There's a pic of my Duster for poops and giggles.

View attachment 1715578578

Let’s see a picture of the tunnel ram with the tops. I don’t care for that cam with a TR and I’d use Holley clone carbs.

Let’s see a picture of the tunnel ram with the tops. I don’t care for that cam with a TR and I’d use Holley clone carbs.

Can you please elaborate on why the cam is a bad match? Just trying to learn as much as I can.

IMG_20200815_113024_177.jpg

IMG_20200815_113024_158.jpg

Did you say what the CR was or did I miss it?

Throwing engines together seems to work well for other people....for me, it's the road to misery. The parts you have are generally well matched. I'd toss the Edelbrock carb first....

Can you please elaborate on why the cam is a bad match? Just trying to learn as much as I can.

View attachment 1715578579

View attachment 1715578580

That wide LSA will absolutely kill your mid range and lower mid range power.

With that compression ratio I’d get something on a 104 LSA and get carbs that can be tuned.

Love that intake BTW. The top is a bit wonky because the carbs mount inline, but you can work around that and mount them sideways like they should be.

That wide LSA will absolutely kill your mid range and lower mid range power.

With that compression ratio I’d get something on a 104 LSA and get carbs that can be tuned.

Love that intake BTW. The top is a bit wonky because the carbs mount inline, but you can work around that and mount them sideways like they should be.

Good to know on the LSA, learn something new everyday.

Now a quick question on mounting the carbs sideways. The plenum is divided, like a dual plane but it doesn't go down all the way. There is about 1/2" gap between the bottom of the divider and bottom of the plenum. If I mount the carbs sideways, at part throttle wouldn't I get too much fuel on one bank of the engine from the primaries while the other side would be starved? Maybe that gap is enough to balance it out and obviously once the secondaries are open everywhere is getting fuel. Just a thought off the top of my head.

Offy was apparently a believer in separating the two sides of the motor by dividing the manifold....... since they had several different intake styles done that way.

Personally..... I’m not a fan.

I would modify the manifold to eliminate that “feature”.

As for the rest of it...... it’ll work okay.
I’d put a solid cam in it, or an old school style hyd if the rocker gear isn’t in the budget.

You’d need more stall with where I would go with a cam.

But if you used just the stuff you had, it would run okay.

I have that same intake sitting in the shop, except, my top is for thermoquads.
I was going to take a sawzall and hammer to the divider.

Offy was apparently a believer in separating the two sides of the motor by dividing the manifold....... since they had several different intake styles done that way.

Personally..... I’m not a fan.

I would modify the manifold to eliminate that “feature”.

As for the rest of it...... it’ll work okay.
I’d put a solid cam in it, or an old school style hyd if the rocker gear isn’t in the budget.

You’d need more stall with where I would go with a cam.

But if you used just the stuff you had, it would run okay.

Thanks for the input, appreciate the help.

Forgot to mention I like that Duster!

Thanks man, it's a bit of a pile but it's my pile lol

cam way obsolete and wrong for not onle for your compression but everything else
Like the two TQ top
I would not change intakes if doing a new motor unless you are a good tuner

-
Back