redneck engineering

-

sweatybetty

Reaction score
have a gastank that had surface rust on the inside. got a price quote of $80 to have it cleaned. (acid dipped) screw that! so i came up with the idea that a few pounds of gravel in the tank would be just like sandblasting it nice and clean. WORKED GREAT. so im $80 bucks ahead. only took an hour. dont try this at home!
step 1 fill tank with a 2 gallon bucket fuul of basic road gravel
step 2 seal all holes
step 3 strap tank to tire of your jacked up 4x4
step 4 jack said tire off ground
step 5 start up 4x4 pickup and put in gear. low range granny and let her rotate for an hour. worked perfect.
now flush the tank with fresh gas and seal

P3310024.JPG

redneck,okiefied hillbilly engineering.JPG

Awesome. Sometimes there's alot to be said for simple, effective redneck engineering!

I'm at a loss for words here. That's incredibly brillant, and highly dangerous at the same time. I hope you neutralized the fumes and residual gas with soapy water and let it air out for a day or so. All you need is a little bit of fuel sealed up in there and a spark from a chunk of gravel and you'll be looking for the right rear tire until next Thursday....

But since it worked and no one died, I guess it's the tip of the week! :thumbup:

LMAO!

Most people tend to overcomplicate things.
That was refreshing, thank you.:salute:

Your a friggan genius!

THATS the funniest thing but affective at the same time,, that ive seen since the dukes of hazzard......

QUESTION,, with a gas tank strapped to your tire,,,how many miles to the gallon were you getting??? lmao

That has to be one of the funniest things I've seen on here. We could make a thread just from that one picture....thanks for the great laugh so early. I'm not laughing at you for doing it this way, I just never would have thought to try it myself :)

wow that is pretty redneck i remember doing this to my 75 dart sports tank, well i just put rocks in it and shook it around for quite some time that is a good idea though :thumbup:

The big laugh for me !!On the floor!!! :toothy7:
Sweet sweetybetty !!! Get'er duun! :thumbup:

And I totally agree with FASTBACK340 !!!

Carefully. :tongue9:

just think if the throttle got stuck wide open. It would be time to run for cover. I also think it would be cool to make various sized boxes for say rusted bolts, suspension parts, And just maybe on Sunday you could do a few loads of laundry too!!

Now I don't feel so bad about a guy I know. He uses an old clothes dryer full of media. It's a little noisy, but it works.

PowerWagon896 said:
Ahhhh..... can I do that on my Power Wagon? It has an LSD diff.

Genius, pure genius. :thumbup:

Just makes sure BOTH rear tires are off the ground and you can clean a gas tank on one side, and do your laundry on the other! Hell...stick it in four wheel drive, raise her up and you can mix cement and Margaritas all at once!

FASTBACK340 said:
Just makes sure BOTH rear tires are off the ground and you can clean a gas tank on one side, and do your laundry on the other! Hell...stick it in four wheel drive, raise her up and you can mix cement and Margaritas all at once!

I'll hafta try that!

Iffin I lock all the axles in it might jest work!

FASTBACK340 said:
I'm at a loss for words here. That's incredibly brillant, and highly dangerous at the same time. I hope you neutralized the fumes and residual gas with soapy water and let it air out for a day or so. All you need is a little bit of fuel sealed up in there and a spark from a chunk of gravel and you'll be looking for the right rear tire until next Thursday....

But since it worked and no one died, I guess it's the tip of the week! :thumbup:
I hear that using lead shot instead of gravel reduces the risk of sparks and still cleans it up pretty good...

tell me this is an april fools thing... please?

i would be afraid of dents.

and.. what could be in the tank that would need gravel to take out?

Now thats something I would like to see a video of, LMFAO !!!! pretty neat idea though, and most of all it got the job done without hurting anyone and didn't cost you a dime.

If you put a tank on each tire how big do they have to be to get the truck to float?:dontknow: LOL!

Sometimes a good idea gets to be a bad idea because of execution. How about using a jack stand next time? You were ingenious enough to think of this but left out common sense.

Chuck

-
Back