Redrill 7.25 for 5 on 4.5 pattern?

-

friesza

The Machinist
Reaction score
Is it possible to drill out to a 5 on 4.5 pattern on the axles and drums....just want to get this going till I find the right rear end....and would save me some money for now....72 dart

it ill be cheaper to buy the sbp to lbp wheel adapters from summitracing for around 75$ shipped... but yes you can redrill them too

I'm sure you can find some big bolt pattern 7.25 axles.

why do you say its safer??? we have a duster here (brother in law) that has the 8 3/4 axles drilled out from 4" to 4.5 and the car runs 6.20's in the 1/8mile at over 100 with 1.30 60' and no problems..moser drills them out and if it wasnt safe im sure they wouldnt do it..im just asking not pokin at anybody..:nike:

why do you say its safer??? we have a duster here (brother in law) that has the 8 3/4 axles drilled out from 4" to 4.5 and the car runs 6.20's in the 1/8mile at over 100 with 1.30 60' and no problems..moser drills them out and if it wasnt safe im sure they wouldnt do it..im just asking not pokin at anybody..:nike:

This one time, my crank pulley fell off. It took out my belts, lower radiator hose and bent my fan.

I was heading to work so I just said...... The hell with it. 12 miles later I was at work.

What this proves is that none of you need belts or coolant, because I didn't have any and everything was fine.

Is it possible to drill out to a 5 on 4.5 pattern on the axles and drums....just want to get this going till I find the right rear end....and would save me some money for now....72 dart

we talk about redrilling its a good idea we talk about spacers really a bad idea i know a lot of people that run them but has anyone ever worked out how much more stress is put on the wheel lugs when we do this... you take out the bolt that were made to fit and carry the weight we put longer bolts that will go thru the axle then thru the spacer then we put the wheel back on what we don't think about is that your now carring the same weight but moved out maybe an inch or so and dose anyone think that just because the bolt is longer it ISN'T and stronger (just something to think about) remember a 1/2 bolt is a 1/2 bolt now matter how long it is but no stronger and we are asking it to carry our loved one around (it called sheer strenght) dosen't matter how long the sheer stays the same weld the holes take it to a shop have it redrilled (save the ones you love )

This one time, my crank pulley fell off. It took out my belts, lower radiator hose and bent my fan.

I was heading to work so I just said...... The hell with it. 12 miles later I was at work.

What this proves is that none of you need belts or coolant, because I didn't have any and everything was fine.
user_online.gif

i dont really get your point but ok :violent1:

so if you never did it how can you say /talk on it...what works for some may not work for you ok i get that but there are those that do/have/still are doing it with no problems

we talk about redrilling its a good idea we talk about spacers really a bad idea i know a lot of people that run them but has anyone ever worked out how much more stress is put on the wheel lugs when we do this... you take out the bolt that were made to fit and carry the weight we put longer bolts that will go thru the axle then thru the spacer then we put the wheel back on what we don't think about is that your now carring the same weight but moved out maybe an inch or so and dose anyone think that just because the bolt is longer it ISN'T and stronger (just something to think about) remember a 1/2 bolt is a 1/2 bolt now matter how long it is but no stronger and we are asking it to carry our loved one around (it called sheer strenght) dosen't matter how long the sheer stays the same weld the holes take it to a shop have it redrilled (save the ones you love )

Well put, and yes I have and therefore never used spacers no matter how tempting.
But I daily drive my car all over the place every day so don't have a lot of horsepower, and I don't drive it very hard.
I MIGHT consider them if i really had to.
I totally would not if I was over 300 horses and I used it.

-
Back