redrilling front hubs

-

notahemi

Reaction score
we hear of guys redrilling rear axles for a different bolt pattern. So what would be wrong with redrilling the front hubs to a 5x100mm.(wheel selection) I know there is not enough material left if you drill a 5x4.5 pattern, but the 5x100 is only 1.6mm larger than the 5x4. Not a big deal..... what do you think?

No. I laid it out on the hub and it was clear that it won't work.Just too close to the edge So I thought doing the 5x100 would be a good option. especially with the types of wheels available now. My rearend has 5x4.5 already. I'm hope to use 17's on front and 18's on the back

I work in a mill with an in house machine shop. I'm sure he can help with the layout and has a bionic bit.

Moser redrilled my hubs/rotors years ago to 4.5" bc. I don't think they provide this service anymore. They left the original studs in and redrilled, tap'd, and gave me threaded studs.

Back and front

Attachments

• Dscn1088.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 622
  • Dscn1089.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 473
That is cool to see again,I did that 20 years ago,but did not get it perfect the wheels went on but was out of balance.That would be a great way to but lbp wheels on what was sbw studs with out going to lbp and disks.If I may ask what did it cost.

Just e-mailed Moser and asked if they provide this service and if so, cost. His reply:

Yes, it's $65 a pair

Moser redrilled my hubs/rotors years ago to 4.5" bc. I don't think they provide this service anymore. They left the original studs in and redrilled, tap'd, and gave me threaded studs.

Back and front

There sure is a lot more meat on those disc brake hubs than there is on the others.

My car has 10 inch drums. I had mine drilled to 5 on 4-1/2. Just make sure they use an end mill on the back side to make a flat spot so the stud pulls up flat to the hub. You are only moving them 1/4 inch. I thought they had screwed mine up because it shook like crazy. After some research, I found the hub that comes through the center of the wheel is a smaller in size than the ones drilled for 5 on 4-1/2. The hub is what centers the wheel and the lugs only capture it. You can buy what is called a wheel centric ring to fit your hub / wheel combination that will fix that problem. If you can't find exactly what you wanr, go with one that fits the wheel and is too small for the hub. The machine shop can turn them out to the exact size you need. Mine run very true now. Very pleased.
Tom

-
Back