Reducing Clear Coat

-

mokid

Reaction score
Was gonna paint the engine bay in my Dart. Mixed the stuff 4:1, just like instructions say. It was thick as pancake syrup. No way a spray gun would move it. Tried reducing it with urethane reducer and lacquer thinner.........both times it separated with a glob of stuff floating like a yolk in an egg. Tried upping pressure on my gun, but no way would it move that stuff. Please help!! I really need to get that engine bay finished.

i use extreme klear kote and it mixes 4-1 with the activator and the clear alone was thin enuff to spray. maybe your clear went bad somehow?

urethane reducer should have done the trick...sounds like the clear has gone bad?

Was gonna paint the engine bay in my Dart. Mixed the stuff 4:1, just like instructions say. It was thick as pancake syrup. No way a spray gun would move it. Tried reducing it with urethane reducer and lacquer thinner.........both times it separated with a glob of stuff floating like a yolk in an egg. Tried upping pressure on my gun, but no way would it move that stuff. Please help!! I really need to get that engine bay finished.

I'm curious about what brand / part number this clear and hardener are?

don't use laquer thinner to reduce urathanes...not compatible! The clear was probably old and no good by the sounds. I use PPG high velosity clear. nice stuff.

-
Back