Reducing the Beak?

-
And, the front bumper on my 74 was 62# with all the crash baloney. The rear was 82#, with said crash baloney.
The 73's, of course, only had the crash bumper baloney on the front.
(The crash bumpers were rated at 5 mph for the front, and 3 mph for the back, if I remember correctly. Any crash above those speeds, and the crash repair cost skyrocketed. Sigh, my hereos in government...)

I used fiberglass (hood, fenders and bumpers), so I don't know how the weight of 70-72 stuff compares.

At the old method of 100# = .1 second e.t., I probably picked up a solid tenth. Plus, most of the weight is off the front.

I built it with the fiberglass, so I don't have before and after e.t.'s.

I've taken this thread off track with weight mention, back to the op's question...

Ma MoPar must've had a slew of leftover '69 Barracuda hoods to forward that look for a few more years..

Ma MoPar must've had a slew of leftover '69 Barracuda hoods to forward that look for a few more years..
They also brought back the A Body Barracuda fold down rear seats for Duster and Dart Sport

Last edited:
And, the front bumper on my 74 was 62# with all the crash baloney. The rear was 82#, with said crash baloney.
The 73's, of course, only had the crash bumper baloney on the front.
(The crash bumpers were rated at 5 mph for the front, and 3 mph for the back, if I remember correctly. Any crash above those speeds, and the crash repair cost skyrocketed. Sigh, my hereos in government...)

I used fiberglass (hood, fenders and bumpers), so I don't know how the weight of 70-72 stuff compares.

At the old method of 100# = .1 second e.t., I probably picked up a solid tenth. Plus, most of the weight is off the front.

I built it with the fiberglass, so I don't have before and after e.t.'s.

I've taken this thread off track with weight mention, back to the op's question...
My ‘74 must have been an early one, still has the normal ‘73 front bumper, no shocks. But that rear bumper has to weigh 100lbs with all the dirt and rocks caught between the chrome cover and the reinforcement!

My ‘74 must have been an early one, still has the normal ‘73 front bumper, no shocks. But that rear bumper has to weigh 100lbs with all the dirt and rocks caught between the chrome cover and the reinforcement!
i was shocked at the weight of my front 74 bumper and shocks. i bet it was 100 lbs between all of it. MOSTLY the inner structure, but the outer shell was alot too. spring mount surprisingly weren't as nuts as I thought they would be.

Funny because thats typically the GM way..."Hey guys, I know we just launched the new 1/2 ton, but the boys in mexico just found a bunch of last gen body panels....so lets keep the base model 3/4 ton in production, and run it for 15 more years"

i was shocked at the weight of my front 74 bumper and shocks. i bet it was 100 lbs between all of it. MOSTLY the inner structure, but the outer shell was alot too. spring mount surprisingly weren't as nuts as I thought they would be.
That inner structure could survive a nuclear blast!

and while they not only added weight, but also didn't allow for more giddyup.

thanks!! 69 cuda hood is interchangeable with the 73-76 dart. I sold My old steel hood to a 69 cuda guy. Fun fact!
I think I read somewhere that the 69 hood hinges attach differently to the hood meaning a Dart hood would need Dart hinges to go on a Barracuda.

A case of use what you have on the production line for sure. Pretty common.
My 1973 was a late 73 H Code they made plenty late 1973 Duster-Dart 340 cars to use up 340 motors.
And car has some 74 parts on it. It was almost all orginal old man car, bought new in New Orleans. Died and wife drive it to food store, church etc. Their son took it away and sold it, when she was no longer able to drive safely.
I know the guy who bought it from them and I am 3rd owner.

Last edited:
A case of use what you have on the production line for sure. Pretty common.
My 1973 was a late 73 H Code thet made plenty late duster-dart 340 cars. My car has some 74 parts on it. It was almost all orginal old man car, bought new in New Orleans. Died and wife drive it to food store, church etc. Their son took it away and sold it, when she was no longer able to drive safely.
I know the guy who bought it from them and I am 3rd owner.
Man I’ve just got to say, I’ve been admiring your car since I was 12 on Moparts in the early 2000’s(I believe it’s you) it’s so clean, and your motor is fuckin bad ***. Hats off to your beaker.

Can anyone confirm a 73+ Scamp/Duster hood and grill fits the 73+ Dart and lines up with the front fenders?

Can anyone confirm a 73+ Scamp/Duster hood and grill fits the 73+ Dart and lines up with the front fenders?
Read a few posts on page 3 of this thread… your answer is there.

Sell it to someone who appreciates it for what it is and then buy something else.

Yeah!

B4A31882-5F40-4E91-9852-47F5FF19828B.jpeg

-
Back