Reel to Reel copy to Disc Help

-

Hemiroid

Reaction score
My Dad back in the day had a reel to reel machine that he used to tape his songs on, my Mom ( 80 years old ) broke my heart yesterday when she said she would like to hear "her" Dad again, he is playing his violin and talking on one of those tapes.
I have six reels that I would like to have copied over to a disk, I am scared to **** thinking I may ruin a tape on a machine that is over 50 years old.

Does any one know a reliable and trusted place where I could this done at.

Thanks
Kenny

I could do it for you, but wouldn't want to risk losing those tapes in transit. I'm sure there are folks in your area with open reel decks, and if you can't enlist their help, pick one up off Craig's list etc., you'd be surprised how robust those old machines are. Audiokarma.org is a great site for more info on that. Good luck, I know the feeling...

The machines may be robust, but tapes that old may be very brittle and could easilly break.

I could do it for you, but wouldn't want to risk losing those tapes in transit. I'm sure there are folks in your area with open reel decks, and if you can't enlist their help, pick one up off Craig's list etc., you'd be surprised how robust those old machines are. Audiokarma.org is a great site for more info on that. Good luck, I know the feeling...

Thank you so much for the offer and your help. I will have to find a place where I can drive to, like you said the risk of losing the tapes in transit.

Thanks
Kenny

I have a video production company and have done a lot of transfers over the years. Those old reel to reel machines are a lot gentler on tapes than cassette decks when things go wrong. The tapes are more rubust too - thicker base. I wouldn't worry as much about brittleness either unless they've been stored in a bad environment. Extreme heat and spilling something on them would be a bigger concern.

I'd do it for you too as a favor but would also be concerned about loss in transit. If you have a deck, take some alcohol and swaps and clean the heads, capstan, and pinch roller. If it still runs you'll be fine.

I have a video production company and have done a lot of transfers over the years. Those old reel to reel machines are a lot gentler on tapes than cassette decks when things go wrong. The tapes are more rubust too - thicker base. I wouldn't worry as much about brittleness either unless they've been stored in a bad environment. Extreme heat and spilling something on them would be a bigger concern.

I'd do it for you too as a favor but would also be concerned about loss in transit. If you have a deck, take some alcohol and swaps and clean the heads, capstan, and pinch roller. If it still runs you'll be fine.

The tapes have been taken care of and seem to look okay, I turned on the machine on with out a tape and played around with the controls seams to work okay. I will clean it like you suggested, and thanks for your offer.
Love your Duster!
Kenny

The tapes have been taken care of and seem to look okay, I turned on the machine on with out a tape and played around with the controls seams to work okay. I will clean it like you suggested, and thanks for your offer.
Love your Duster!
Kenny
Just out of curiosity, what machine do you have?

I don't think that it would be a problem trying it. As long as the tape still has some elasticity you should be OK. You should know in short order whether it's gonna work or not. Just make sure you don't hit the record button and accidentally record over them.

I just shot this picture. I can just remember my Dad buying this in the early Sixtys.

View attachment 260371

Thanks
Kenny
That's really cool ! What model, looks like a tube unit?

Looks alot like this one, which seems to work fine [eta: though something newer would be gentler on the tape, sound better and easier to use...]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5nn_h_JnQA"]Silvertone Reel to Reel - YouTube[/ame]

That's really cool ! What model, looks like a tube unit?

Looks alot like this one, which seems to work fine [eta: though something newer would be gentler on the tape, sound better and easier to use...]

Silvertone Reel to Reel - YouTube

The model is 7081, not sure if it is a tube model.
I fired it up this after noon and played a couple of tapes, was working fine I
was fast forwarding and broke a tape in two. ( I just about got sick )
I found a place online in a city that is about one hour away, will give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks
Kenny

The model is 7081, not sure if it is a tube model.
I fired it up this after noon and played a couple of tapes, was working fine I
was fast forwarding and broke a tape in two. ( I just about got sick )
I found a place online in a city that is about one hour away, will give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks
Kenny
Yeah that's probably best. The tape should be able to be spliced, not uncommon according to condition. All the best!

-
Back