Refinish Products - How many brands out there?

-

sscuda

The best there is, the best there ever will be.
Reaction score
FABO members,

How many refinish paint and/or primer brands (manufacturers) are out on the market today? I'm asking our off-shore members to jump in and contribute too.

Just wet paint/primer no powder paints.

You can throw in fillers, spot putties, etc.

I'm just asking out of shear curiosity. My focus has always been OEM, Industrial, Aerospace, and Military finishes but I have worked with BASF, PPG and Dupont refinish products on my own vehicles.

So, how about it?

sscuda

P.S. Have you thanked a CDN or US military veteran today?

All,

I didn't think this was such a difficult question. You would almost think I was going to ask you folks to write a test on this subject. (LOL)

With all the DIY'ers and bump shop boys out there I thought this was a an easy question.

Over the last couple of months I heard one FABO member mention Limco and another member mention Summit brand paint.

Feel free to jump in.

sscuda

There are tons. Yes summit has a house brand paint now, So does Eastwood and Duplicolor sells ready to spray colors as well.

The shop Im working at uses Speis Hecker (owned by Dupont) Roberlo and Transtar. Dupont also owned Nason

BASF owns Glasseret

I've seen Centari in the past, don't know if there still around.
House of Colors is a popular one these days.

There's also the whole Akzo Nobel line that includes Sikkens, Lesonal, U-Tech.

Matrix.

Not that it's a difficult question. The answer is potentially exhaustive.

Adam,

I'm sure there are many brands out there. I'm just curious as to how many.

Roberlo?!?! - Sounds like hair care products!! (LOL)

Thanks!!

Butterduster,

Centari (Dupont) is still around. I shot my son's '87 Ramcharger SLT (CA truck) for him.

Keep em coming guys. GOOD JOB!!!!

Thanks so much,

sscuda

Roberlo is a company from Spain. Some what new to the market. I like there primer. real think and very light gray which makes block with guide coat pretty easy.

Rubber-seal,PPG,Martin Senour are some more.

Dupont Hot Hues paints.(factory paks)

I know theres the auto parts "body pro" brands or what ever there selling at $20.00 a gallon,your getting what your paying for.

Evercoat body fillers,Rage,Everglass,Metal to Metal,etc.

Rubber-Seal european glazing putty.

Just some of the products we use.

The answer is potentially exhaustive.

Especially when you start looking just within a given company, like some have pointed out...PPG has the Global line, the Deltron line, Vibrance, Shopline, Omni, and a bunch of others. And some variations within the line, like DBC and DBU bases inside Deltron with the coverage of the Concept clears: DCU 2002, 2010, just to name a few within a line of like 20 clears on the market just in the DCU line depending on what you're looking for. And all that's in just PPG. Now add all in the lines from Dupont, BASF...wow, the number boggles the mind.
And I think in your original post you asked about fillers and primers, too? USC, Evercoat, the old Bondo, and the lines of products coming out of those companies? WOW!

Thank you to all who responded. I'm sure it jogged a few brain cells coming up with all these names. (LOL)

I can see there are quite a few brands out there. I see why a novice can get a little confused when it comes to chosing a refinish material.

I have compiled a personal list in case someone asks me about a certain brand of paint or primer. I can say "I've heard of that material".

Just to let everyone know I'm playing with a new waterborne base / clear system that shows promise.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
sscuda

You need a booth to spray water born. You have to have rea good air flow for the base to dry correctly, special paper and tape as well. Its not very hobbiest friendly.

A pox on the environazis for creating water born paints. And slowly outlawing VOC paints.

AdamR/Redness,

No problem guys, I have all the equipment necessary to process any wet finish material on the planet. And most powders. I'm still working on getting process equipment for ceramic finishes.

FYI - The waterborne material I'm looking at appears to have all the application traits of most solventborne refinish materials. Only time will tell.

sscuda

I'll add Sherwin-Williams and ICI/DuLux to the mix of manufacturers of automotive finishes. I'm more familiar with PPG & DuPont coatings. As another post pointed out, each manufacturer makes several lines of paint of different qualities, or for particular applications.

In my experience, pricing has been a function of the paint line used for the base, the particular color and shade of paint pigmentation, and whether or not a clear coat is part of the mix.

-
Back