Refurb Dart/Demon Grill advice photos wanted..

-

craigibc

wishin' my Demon was done
Reaction score
I am getting ready to reburb the grill for the 72 Demon.

Want to get any insight from you guys.

Looking for advice on paint colors, easy way to paint black as opposed to the grey/silver, what paint and color that you used and how it looked when you were done. (photos)

Any help would be great....

Thanks,

Craig

I redid mine not long ago. It was not to hard. I rattle caned it with aluminum engine paint and flat black. Then hit the hole thing witha flat clear top coat.

022.jpg

I did my 72 Demon grill a year ago. I took a bunch of closeup pictures so I could get the gray/black right on it. I used a rattle can "dull aluminum" or "flat aluminum" from Lowes, and semi flat black. It came out great, but does take some time to mask it off properly. I don't have the pictures handy, but can post a few later if you would like.

You will need to get some pin stripping tape and 2" masking blue tape.
Next paint all the areas silver that you want silver.
Next after all areas are dry tape up the silver areas.
Next paint the black, front and back. Maybe a couple coats.
Than after the black dries peel off the tape carefully not to pull the silver.
Do not let the tape set longer than a day. And do the painting on a hot day.
I used Dupi-color silver wheel paint and semi-low gloss for the black. The Mopar Argent spray cans sucks, and the silver wheel looked better for me.
dartgrill003.jpg

0314081615.jpg

dartgrill002.jpg

dartgrill006.jpg

dartgrill024.jpg

Here's a 72..........

Didn't go with Argents.........After a good cleaning with Simple Green and a scrub brush, the grill parts were dulled with 000 Steel Wool.....cleaned again and rinsed, then wiped with a prep solvent before paint.

Dupli-Color adhesion promoter was sprayed on all parts (not the lenses).....The black portions got 3 light even coats of Dupli-Color universal metallic black (lacquer based)......Followed by wet coats of clear lacquer.

The silver is an import color (spray can) with an aggressive metallic, followed again by 2 wet coats of clear lacquer.

If you look carefulkly, you can see tiny 1/8" chrome strips on the leading edges of the cross-tubes........really set it off.

103_0334.jpg

105_0561.jpg

I did this grille in 2 afternoons......Just have to set your mind and stay focused..........

....and pay attention to the details.......

I took this car from a bone stock dog dish hull to a multiple 'Best Mopar' winner in 6 months of tinkering...the seat covers, door panels, and single color paint were recently done when I got the car.......I did everything else myself.

You can do it. 8)

Taped them off........You lay green auto-body masking tape (or green fine line tape) over the clear lens, pressing it in with your fingernail so it's snug around the edges....trim with a new exacto knife.....steel wool lightly with 000 or 0000......a little spray of adhesion promoter, and your silver topcoat.....takes some tinkering, but well worth the effort.

Here's a 72..........

Didn't go with Argents.........After a good cleaning with Simple Green and a scrub brush, the grill parts were dulled with 000 Steel Wool.....cleaned again and rinsed, then wiped with a prep solvent before paint.

Dupli-Color adhesion promoter was sprayed on all parts (not the lenses).....The black portions got 3 light even coats of Dupli-Color universal metallic black (lacquer based)......Followed by wet coats of clear lacquer.

The silver is an import color (spray can) with an aggressive metallic, followed again by 2 wet coats of clear lacquer.

If you look carefulkly, you can see tiny 1/8" chrome strips on the leading edges of the cross-tubes........really set it off.

Is that Dark Chestnut

I had one new in 72 that I wish I kept. That color was rare as well.

Resized340DemonMikeandTim.jpg

Nope.......The color is actually called "Sunset Orange", and it's a one year Hummer color........Looks very close to Mopar Burnt orange, but it POPS in the sun.........really an eye catcher, and it goes great with burnt orange carpet.

great advice from the forum. It is not perfect but much better than I expected considering I have a bad case of ADHD. Could not of done it without you guys...

Thanks much,

Craig

BTW...

I used SEM Gloss Black and Metallic Finish from Rust-oleum with a Matte Finish from Krylon.

Thanks again for all your help...

Craig

-
Back