refurb Instrument panel

-

Back in Time

Reaction score
I have the gauge panel out of my 64 Dart and want to clean it up.I'm NOT doing a factory correct restoration... just want to paint it and make it nice(my budget is limited).What I need to know is if there is a way to make the clear plastic cover look nice or should I try to fab one out of plexiglass or possibly Lexan?

First, try polishing it with a soft rag and toothpaste (the paste type - not the gel type). Do not use water with the paste or it will be too thin to work. Do it by hand or you could create "crazing" cracks in it. Rub in small circles and then wash it off for a quick inspection. If it needs more work, just keep going with the toothpaste.

I buff them out. If I have to I'll sand with 2000 grit and then use a cutting compound and 3" wool pad on my drill. Then I'll use a polishing compound and foam pad on the drill to make it look crystal clear.

Here's a thread I made after doing this to my radio lense a few years back. I used a 6" buffer (not recommended) because I didn't have the drill pads at the time...but you get the point.

http://slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40780&highlight=radio

I do mine by hand and use a very fine plastic/headlight restorer. But all this depends on how scratched they really are.

-
Back