Regarding anybody that has used QA1 front uppers and on lowers on 1964 to 1966 valiant

-

64whiteghost

Reaction score
Hello guys.

Lets try this again

Im looking for advice as to what the size rim i need for this set up. In the picture i mounted my friends 15x7 with 4" backspacing. Which are super snug. My goal is to have 225/60/15. I would love to do 235s but most guys here say its not possible.

So my question is. Do i do 15x5 bbp with 3.75 back spacing or 3.5 backspacing ?

Btw brakes are dr diff 11.75 kit.

20230804_183941.jpg

20230804_183950.jpg

20230905_175139.jpg

20230905_175128.jpg

that's close, but i'd think it would clear thu the range of motion.

i don't want to conflate things, but on my 69 cuda i'm running BBP with a 15X7 with 4.25 BS and 225's and i have *very* little room to the fender lip. granted you might be a little more narrow up front, but i think it's probably a net even with the slab sided fenders of the early car.

ultimately, you'll need to measure the outside just the same as you did in the back. use a floor jack to run it thru the motion to get an idea of where you're at and you can determine what should suit you.

i just don't see it happening with less backspace is all.

You’ll need 15x7 with a 4.25” backspace to run 225/60/15’s up front, even that will be tight. A 4” backspace with BBP spindles and brakes won’t be enough, 215’s will be tight with a 4” backspace.

I don’t see an issue with the clearance in that picture. The only movement you can have there is bearing slop and wheel flex, and that’s not much at all. The factory UCA’s also put the ball joints very close to a 15x7 with 4.25” of backspace. The cup on the QA1’s makes the profile a bit taller, but, the wheel is mounted to the spindle so that geometry is the same. The ball joint itself is in the same spot, just a little added caster angle. The LCA’s are the same length and have the same suspension points as stock.

You’ll need 15x7 with a 4.25” backspace to run 225/60/15’s up front, even that will be tight. A 4” backspace with BBP spindles and brakes won’t be enough, 215’s will be tight with a 4” backspace.

I don’t see an issue with the clearance in that picture. The only movement you can have there is bearing slop and wheel flex, and that’s not much at all. The factory UCA’s also put the ball joints very close to a 15x7 with 4.25” of backspace. The cup on the QA1’s makes the profile a bit taller, but, the wheel is mounted to the spindle so that geometry is the same. The ball joint itself is in the same spot, just a little added caster angle. The LCA’s are the same length and have the same suspension points as stock.
Thank you for your response 72 ! Appreciate it !

Btw found a local guy here in Corona CA that can make both sets custom for me for a very resonable price

Thank you for your response 72 ! Appreciate it !

Btw found a local guy here in Corona CA that can make both sets custom for me for a very resonable price
Would you care to share that info? Since Stockton is gone, that might be of benefit.

on my 64 Dart I have the QA1 upper and Lower control arms.
Have 15x6 weld pro star rims with 3.5 backspace 0 offset with 60 series tires and it clears. 73& u is brake set up. Clears fine.
I can check weather 225 or 235 tomorrow. I just can’t remember off top of my head.

So i got my custom rims. But im wondering if they did it right. When i set the 4" backspacing rim i had it was 2inches from the leaf spring. And now when i put the "so called" 4.5 backspacing rims. Its only 1 3/4 from the leaf spring ? I think the shop made a mistake ?

Also where is the backspacing measureed from. Check the pictures

20230908_184823.jpg

20230908_184827.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back