Registry question

-

aduster340

Reaction score
I noticed the VIN sequence #'s were replaced with xxxxx Are these numbers valuable to crooks and should be kept private?

aduster340 said:
I noticed the VIN sequence #'s were replaced with xxxxx Are these numbers valuable to crooks and should be kept private?

I believe it's just a courtesy to the vehicle owners, even though your VIN is prominently displayed either on your dashboard, or, like NY, it's on your registration sticker in your windsheild.

Adam asked for that...

It's an option, actually, when the vehicle is entered into the registry. The user can opt to have the assembly number of their VIN displayed, or not. If not, it'll be displayed as X's, like you see.

I just put in an update for the registry, all of the records that were in there before the update went in where changed to not display the assembly number.

FASTBACK340 said:
aduster340 said:

I believe it's just a courtesy to the vehicle owners, even though your VIN is prominently displayed either on your dashboard, or, like NY, it's on your registration sticker in your windsheild.

I've seen it that way on cars listed on eBay, and other sites. For some reason people don't want that information shared. I'm not quite sure why, though.

mikelbeck said:
I've seen it that way on cars listed on eBay, and other sites. For some reason people don't want that information shared. I'm not quite sure why, though.

Me either.

-
Back