REGRET

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This was my 72 Demon..Parents got it for me as my first car for my 16th b*day in 1984. Put the 70 / 71 scoops on it a few months later. Owned it for 21 years, sold in 2005, and regretted it the moment the keys left my hand. Originally B5 blue, painted PlumCrazy in 1989. Black bucket, deluxe interior..318..

Screenshot_20230524_134121_Photos~2.jpg

Screenshot_20230522_200004_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_133817_Chrome~3.jpg

Screenshot_20230524_135114_Photos~2.jpg
auto / console car. I searched and searched with no luck for over 13 years..and the search intensified after being diagnosed with head and neck cancer...still no luck.
Ended up buying another 72, and been trying to get it on the road..Hopefully soon.
Car was sold in Jefferson County, Missouri...near St Louis.
Strange, the attachment we have to certain cars..

Screenshot_20230524_135713_Photos~2.jpg

Yup I've owned my Dart 30 years this July coming up. The thing is they don't make em like that any more. I don't know what new car I'd buy if I had the coin to buy one...the trucks don't interest me they all look alike etc. Too much expensive electronics. At least the older cars had their own style and it was part of your identity..people would say "you mean that guy in that 70 Swinger 340..?"

Thanks for sharing, and hope you are doing ok physically. I looked at a leftover 71 Demon 340 before I bought my 72 Duster 340 new. The Demon was an automatic and so I passed. Pretty sure it was Jamaica Blue. The Duster was a 4 speed, and and despite the lower compression in 72, and that it wasn't blue (my favorite color), I never regretted buying it. The Lemon Twist paint really grew on me.

Good luck on the new Demon, and prayers for your health.

And REGRET? Yeah, on selling several old Mopars, including the 1969 Cuda I traded on the Duster.

Wish you well and hope you find the original, or at least enjoy building the replacement.

I regret selling my 69 Coronet 500. yeah it was a 318 car but it was a nice looking car at the time in 1988.

Being close to Illinois you can search a VIN on the SOS website. Won't tell you who owns it, but will tell if currently plated in the state.

I call it. "The haunting." Every car guy I know has some. Mine was selling my '69 GTX when babies made the scene in our household. I did what I had to do then. But the "haunting" never left. This included dreams. 5 years ago I found a car that needed a home. And some love. Very similar 440 4speed performance. Same exterior color. (Though some different personalities.)

The dreams have stopped. But I still ponder. "Wouldn't the 2 GTX have made excellent siblings?"

I had to get rid of a 69 Coronet 500 it was a 318 car but still it was a very nice whole restorable car. Who knew B bodies would basically dry up? and I got it real cheap in 1988...I never took pictures of the first few cars I owned I tell people I used to have a 69 Dodge Coronet, then I used to have a 71 Pontiac T-37 no one listens or cares or beleives its my version of dreaming or remembering...

I had to get rid of a 69 Coronet 500 it was a 318 car but still it was a very nice whole restorable car. Who knew B bodies would basically dry up? and I got it real cheap in 1988...
Who knew alot of things about the muscle car era. My high school Sr car was a '66 GTO. These cars were then 10+ years old. Thus the only cars I could afford. I terrorized the rich kids in their newer late 70s early 80s Trans Ams and Cameros.

But again, who knew the future? And their values?

Yeah i find myself saying "they were cheap used cars..." all the time. I guess Im glad I grew up in that era got my license in 1986 so the late 60s 70s cars were real beat up by the late 80s LOL! but parts were in the yards you could get em running.

I think a lot of us has regrets selling certain cars. My first car at 16 was a 55 Belair, that I`d love to replace to this day 47 years later. That $350 car is unobtainable these days, they`re stupid expensive now.
For several years now I`ve been thinking about sending my notch down the road to someone who`d love it and fix it up, but every time I set in it and look out over that hood, I`m like man this is such a cool car and I`ll probably kick myself in the butt for parting with it, but I just don`t have the drive to restore it that it really deserves. 26 years is long time friend. The other day when I was out at the parts store for an oil filter for my daily. The girl at the counter was counting money for the register, said she would answer a crossover for the filter that they stopped stocking. I waited a minute or so then she dumps a pile of pennys on the counter, I said forget it and walked out thinking now my car won`t start and I`ll be the embarrassed one. Sure enough:BangHead:
:wtf: Got out popped the hood wiggled the bulkhead connectors, tried it again... varoom.
See if that works on these modern nightmares.
Sorry for the novel/rant.:lol:
Hard decision to let an old friend go.

I've been fortunate in this regard. I bought my 1st car, my 69 Charger, in 1978. Literally from a little old lady who had ordered it new!

Then in 1984, I bought my 71 Demon 340 from the original owner. Basically paid original sticker price on it when it was bought new in 1971.

Still have both of them through raising our family. They just sat in the garage all that time. Added the 72 Demon avatar in 2019 as a roller to have some fun with. So far, so good - except the wife says one has to go if I want another!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: THAT'S no fun!!

I regretted selling my first Mopar before I even handed the keys to the new owner. It was a double-black 1973 340/4-speed Challenger (non-Rallye, no vinyl) that was, at the time, too far gone to save. In 1989, AMD, Goodmark and the others didn't exist and typical of E-bodies it needed every structural member rear of the back seat. I was able to keep track of the car for about ten years, but then lost the trail. It took me 25 years to find a suitable replacement, which is a '74. The '74 is getting a 340 and 4-speed along with everything else my '73 had, plus upgrades I wanted when I was 18 but couldn't afford (Six Pack, T/A hood, etc.). I still have the original Pistol Grip from my '73 as well as some minor parts that I'll use. I'd still rather have the original back, but by now I assume it's soup cans. If I found it, though, I'd restore it right back to build-sheet specs (I have that, along with all the original dealer paperwork and MSO).
It's your car, so do whatever you want with it. Make it what you want; there's no shame in that. If you want to spec it just like your old one, have at it. In my case, I've no doubt a double-black 340 Six Pack 4-speed Challenger has better resale value than a stone-stock Dark Moonstone, white vinyl top 318 automatic would've anyhow.
Mostly, have fun with what you've got. You might find yourself just as much, or even more in love with this one down the road.
Wishing you the best with your health issues. Hang in there and stay positive. Attitude does make a difference!

-
Back