Reinstalling cloth headliner

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
My headliner is all wrinkled and whoever put it in did a very poor job. I am trying to reinstall it to make it look better. It was not hooked over either the front or rear window and just tucked under the gaskets. I have removed the back window to start tucking it on the little teeth to hold it in place. Any advice on getting and keeping the wrinkles out? I will also be doing this by myself so any tips on doing it with one person would be helpful as well. Thanks!!

I used contact cement to hold the middle , front and back , then worked outwards from those points.. There is a good article by Ron Fryer, http://www.upholster.com/auto/headliners-installation.html

I brushed the contact cement onto both surfaces, let it set for about 20 minutes, then carefully put it into place.. I did not use any cement on the sides, just the points from the teeth and the inside molding hold it in place on the sides.
A hair dryer to warm up the vinyl works well when streching.

Hope that helps!

Also I used a wooden paint stiring stick to push the headliner on to the teeth under the wether striping front and back.

-
Back