Release window trim

-

BJs Duster

BJs duster
Reaction score
Hi guys any tips on removing- releasing the stainless trim from around the front and rear windows , is there a special tool for this job and how is it used . Thanks Bob

Hi guys any tips on removing- releasing the stainless trim from around the front and rear windows , is there a special tool for this job and how is it used . Thanks Bob

There is a special tool to release the window clips.......... they make one that
I like, it has a flat handle in the middle, and has the claw on each end, usually
one side has a claw at a little different angle, to get at the clip. It is my experience on these tools, that it helps to take a hand file and make the point of the claw sharper, to grab hold of the edge of the clip. Alot of times, the trim will come off with little effort, because the clips are either rusty, or not even there. If you live where there is no rust, it is certain you will have to
release every single clip, or the trim will fight you all the way. It is so very important to take your time with this....... as it is, and can be frusterating at times, the best thing to do is stop, go do something else, and try again at a later time. Again...... DO NOT be in a hurry, as very good useable trim is getting harder to find!

another item to be aware if in the past someone got a little crazy with windshield sealant-- the clips will be almost impossible to separate from the trim.

Basically what your are doing is unhooking the trim clip & allowing the trim to snap off, it will click if no sealant.
take your time ,Lawrencei

Thanks Guys can this tool be bought at a uap store or are they more specialized tools that need to come from snap-on or Matco stores .Bob

harbor freight has them-- i would recommend the plastic style to start-- you can chip the glass fairly easy if not careful. Lawrence

C.R. Laurence has them too. In the glass business world, that's where to go for specialized tools.

-
Back