Reliable/ daily driver turbo combos?

-

slimjim

Reaction score
Hey does anyone have a combo for a daily driver turbo mopar? just curious. With the proper forged internals, how long would a twin turbo/single turbo 318/340 last? This is assuming that the boost remains relativly low haha. any info? would a mild turbo setup work with a 904 tf?

Turbo motors make their power on boost so you could easily make a daily driver out of a Single or Twin Turbo 318 or 340 or whatever engine you choose. Forged Internals are not a must either. You can get a 904 to live well into the 700hp range, if it is built correctly. You will never get it to hook on the street so the power level you are talking about should be a piece of cake for a mildly built 904 IMO. Low boost you are talking about is say 10psi or less? Go get a Junkyard 318, put new bearings, hone it and put new rings on it. Stud the heads and put some Cometic gaskets on it. A combo like that would live a long time at 10psi for a daily driver, you would probably wrap it around a telephone pole before the motor would ever give out, as long as it was tuned correctly. It is all in the tune!

Sure....but this question is loaded like a Chinese Import OceanLiner.

Heat drives the power, but is also the enemy.

Keep the boost sane enough for no detonation on whatever fuel you want to run, and you'll never have any problems but traction...and where to get another set of "xxxxxxxx Tires".

Ideally, you need a 750 Blowthrough Carb, 74mm+ turbocharger Compressor Inducer, and a 70ish mm Turbine Exducer with an A/R choke of .86 OR 1.04, 50mm external wastegate, 50mm bypass valve and full 3.5" exhaust pipe from turbo to exit....and 600+ pumpgas streetable, reliable hp is a throttle tip-in away...with 8.5:1 CR and 14 psi.

But let me be the first to tell you...there are a ton of Real World Variables (budget) that will affect each different setup.

Sure....but this question is loaded like a Chinese Import OceanLiner.

Heat drives the power, but is also the enemy.

Keep the boost sane enough for no detonation on whatever fuel you want to run, and you'll never have any problems but traction...and where to get another set of "xxxxxxxx Tires".

Ideally, you need a 750 Blowthrough Carb, 74mm+ turbocharger Compressor Inducer, and a 70ish mm Turbine Exducer with an A/R choke of .86 OR 1.04, 50mm external wastegate, 50mm bypass valve and full 3.5" exhaust pipe from turbo to exit....and 600+ pumpgas streetable, reliable hp is a throttle tip-in away...with 8.5:1 CR and 14 psi.

But let me be the first to tell you...there are a ton of Real World Variables (budget) that will affect each different setup.

True on the $$, changing directions as you go will cost you some bucks too. From my experience come up with a plan and stick to it until the build is done. If you start to change during the build it can be expensive. Mine for example, I stuck to the plan until I would have had to cut a hole in my hood to clear the carb hat and there was no way I was going to put a scoop on this car, so switching to EFI fixed this but cost me about $1800.00 more than sticking with a Blow Thru set up. Something else to think about is you would probably gain more from Meth Injection instead of an Intercooler and take up less room, IMO. I ended up running both but it is not necessary.

-
Back