Reliable Sheet metal?

-

BlkArrow

Reaction score
Well, the 73' duster I just picked up last week needs more sheet metal than originally anticipated. I took off the kick plates on the rockers to clean them up, so I figured I would peek under the rubber floor mat...I saw to the right to the ground:banghead:. So I guess that is just something else I have to replace, along with the lower rear quarter (one side in front one in the back), a rocker panel, a very small hole in the trunk, a trunk lock area and anything that I might find along the way :(. So I need a place that sells good, nice grade sheet metal. My dad is not very happy with some products that he had bought from ABS in the 80's, he said they rotted within 5 years. Can anyone tell me how their products are now? Anyone want to post experiences with sheet metal places...the Paddock, Sherman, Year One, Goodmark? This could help not only me but anyone else looking for good sheet metal.

Ive used about everybody patch panels over the years,but now i only buy from autobody specialties.Especially there floor pans.I got a set this christmas for the 73 dart,and they fit perfect!They are thicker than any of the other companies ive bought from,cover much more floor area too,wich i like.They were quite a bit cheaper than everyone else,and any bodies floor pans will rust out,if not properly primed/painted after installation.

Thanks for the quick response! I did notice that their prices were extremely reasonable. And I could just drive to them :). Do you know how their patch panels are for the quarters?

are comparable to other companies.I put some lower quarter patches from them in a 70 dart swinger,and vas very happy with the body line match,it wasn 100 % perfect,but very close,and easy to work with.i butt welded them in.Im thinking of ordering a right rear quarter panel for my 71 dart from them,mine is really smashed in,so much the right quarter window hit it when i tried to roll it down.There was 3 inches of bondo on it,nobody even tried to push or pull out the dent,lol

I Also Delt With Autobody Specialityi Bought Both Whole Quarters For A 70 Dart I Was Very Happy With Them

Alright, well I guess they might be my best bet. Seeing as I can actually just go there and look at their inventory and not have to pay for shipping!I am just concerned with what the labor will cost (though we have a few guys who do cars on the side that we have to call). I would try to do it with my dad and brothers help but seeing as how we don't have a welder, time, or a nice area to work on it I it just easier to bring it to someone and have it in their garage. If it took them a month I would have no problem. Just so long as they did it right!

THIS WORKED FOR ME I HAD WENT TO THE LOCAL HIGHSCHOOL THAT OFFERS ADULT NITE CLASS FOR AUTOBODY. ITS 2 NITES A WEEK MON WED FROM 6-9.30 FOR 4 MONTHS I THINK IT WAS IT COST ME 350.FOR THE CLASS STATE OF THE ART EQUIMPMENT SPRAYBOOTH ECT ALL SUPPLIES INCD.WHERE I LEARNED TO WELD MY QUARTER ON MY DART SO CHECK YOUR LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL NITE CLASSES ooooops sorry about the caps:-D

-
Back