Relocating battery questions..

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
Actually. I'm really looking for any helpful hints. I'm moving my Optima battery to the trunk when I put in my new mini starter.

I'm planning on running two 1/0 hot cables to the engine bay: One for the starter, one for the main power. I have installed a buss bar, so I only need to run it to a central point now (and it's NOT the starter relay).

Any suggestions for the Negative cut out switch? Bad experiences with any brand/ type/ load rating??

Also - what have people found as the best way to route the cable through the car?

I appreciate any info..

i wouldn't route them thru the car but keep them underneath the floorpan as for routing that way its just as easy to follow the subframes forward as anything to me

i drilled a hole in the firewall, next to the e-brake cable, installed a grommet, and ran the cable through it,(it enters the pass compartment just outboard of the E-brake bracket. then it goes behind the driver's fresh air vent, down into the kick panle area, and uner the sill plate....then it just follows the main wire harness to the rear...it took all of 15 minutes, including R&R the kick panel and sill plate and drilling the hole....

I'm not sure if NHRA permits the cutoff switch on the negitive side.
It would be a good idea to check, if you plan on taking it to the track.
If you put it on the positive side, you have to make sure you run the alt. hot wire back to the switch. Otherwise the alternator will keep the car running.
The last time I had the car to the track, the tech inspector had me start the car in reverse to make sure the neutral safety switch worked, and when it didn't start, he had me put it in neutral and fire it up. He then walked around to the back of the car and flipped the cutoff switch to make sure that worked.

I'm not planning on racing the car.

Even so, what's wrong with a neg cutoff? Either way it isolates the battery from ground. I'm not talking about any type of automatic unit. Just a hand thrown switch, which makes the the point of where the alt. hooks up a mute point.

Since you are not racing the car it should work O.K. Switch is not allowed in the negative cable by NHRA or IHRA. I think their thinking is if the car gets upside down or damaged and the sheet metal gets bent and contacts the negative post on the kill switch, then they won't be able to shut the power in the car. To be legal it needs to be mounted on the positive side.

-
Back