Remanufactured power steering box

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the AC Delco branded rebuilt power steering boxes for a 74 A-body?

I need a replacement and don’t want to spend the coin on the firm feel unit.

What I’m looking at is about $165 shipped.

Look into the ones from Steer-N-Gear in OH, I have used several of them with good luck.

I paid about that much for a Cardone box. It sucked so bad I sent it as the core for my Firm Feel stage 3.

Thanks man, I have power steering issues myself, if this website pans out good as gold! :)

You will not be dissapointed, I have bought two of them now from them, easy transaction, you pay a core charge up front, they ship you a re-conditioned one, and you ship the old one back in the same box, that is already pre-paid label on it.

You will not be dissapointed, I have bought two of them now from them, easy transaction, you pay a core charge up front, they ship you a re-conditioned one, and you ship the old one back in the same box, that is already pre-paid label on it.

I did the same exact thing through Firm Feel. They do great work, well worth the price they charge.

Most everyone wants to get stuff as cheap as they can but in some cases, cheap is just a waste of time.
MOST of the "remanufactured" steering boxes you see are just disassembled, cleaned and reassembled with new gaskets. No new parts inside, no improvements at all. What was loose and sloppy before will be just as bad after.
I wasn't happy to spend what I did for a Firm Feel Stage 3 but it does not leak and is far better than any stock steering chuck.

My remanufactured box was junk. My original box was leaking badly so I replaced it. The reman box didn't leak as bad but it was really sloppy. Way worse than my old original. I ended up sending it in to firm feel and having them rebuild it.

Every one I have bought from Steer-N- Gear have been tight, with no leaks.

That is because Steer and Gear are not your typical $180 "rebuilt" steering boxes.

Yes the Steer-N-Gear ones are much better quality.
A steering box is a pia to change with the engine in the car, I would rather just put one in that works the first time.

-
Back