.. remote oil filter location ? ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
looking for suggestions please ...
am thinking of installing a remote oil filter on my small block / '66 cuda combination to make oil filter changes after my spitfire header installation as painless as possible .. now have a 90 degree adapter / but still seems cramped > and i hear they always end up leaking ...
* any suggestions on the best location for the remote filter ?
* recommended brand/model ?
* ... or > it's a bad idea ?
thanks for the input

Oil changes are much neater................

Attachments

• IMG_0042 (Small).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_0044 (Small).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 522
You need to keep the filter on the same basic plane that it's currently on so you don't have oil drain back. Perma-Cool still makes the relocation kits. I've got one I bought from a member here for a single filter; PN 10695, dual filter PN 10795. I have the same problem you are having because I'm running 1 7/8" tube headers. Google "Perma-Cool" and go to their website, and put in whichever PN you would like to look at. BTW, I have used them in the past and they sell quality products.

thanks for the suggestions so far .. any pics would be of great help too ..

You need to keep the filter on the same basic plane that it's currently on so you don't have oil drain back. Perma-Cool still makes the relocation kits. I've got one I bought from a member here for a single filter; PN 10695, dual filter PN 10795. I have the same problem you are having because I'm running 1 7/8" tube headers. Google "Perma-Cool" and go to their website, and put in whichever PN you would like to look at. BTW, I have used them in the past and they sell quality products.
I had on of there relocation kits in a Ranger that I swapped a 302 into, never has any issues with it....

I put one of their dual filter kits on back in 2001. It lasted 13 minutes.....here is the short version of what happened.

New motor, breaking in the cam for 20 min at about 2200 RPM. I thought I had those oil hoses routed as far away from the headers as possible. The filters I had mounted on the inner fender up front (near the alternator). 13 minutes into the cam break in period there was a HUGE ball of fire on the passenger side of my engine. My friend that was helping me out that day "reacted" to the situation and grabed the hose that was going to the radiator and sprayed the flames....(Bigger flames!)....I jumped through the window of my car and pulled the key and the flames stopped. Looks like either the radiant heat from the headers and/or a defective hose caused the hose to burst, spraying oil all over the headers (the burst point of the hose was directly inline with the header tube coming off cylinder #8 ). Some how, the only damage was the hose and a little melted wiring. This could have easily been WAY worse.

After that, gave up on easy oil changes and put my 90° filter unit back on. I don't think I'll ever get the guts to try that one again, I'm a little gun shy now.

-
Back