Remote PS reservoir fitting?

-

DionR

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on the OEM power steering pumps and a fitting to remote mount the reservoir?

My brother is working on a 6.4 swap into a '71 Demon and is planning to use the OEM 6.4 pump but hates the stock reservoir. That and it hits the fabricated valve covers and won't allow the pump to bolt up.

I found a return fitting off an '05 300 with a 5.7 that should have worked but the hole in the 6.4 pump is too big. I thought maybe the 6.1 pump would have a different fitting, the pump is a different part number, but can't find a way to verify it.

Anyone know of a fitting or know if the 6.1 pump fitting would work?

This is the fitting I am referring to:

Screenshot 2023-03-22 095020.png

Last edited:
Post some photos of the pump that he is trying to use.

My 06 grand caravan uses a remote resovour. Can't see the pump

Post some photos of the pump that he is trying to use.

My 06 grand caravan uses a remote resovour. Can't see the pump
If you have the 3.3, should be a similar pump.

Has a 3 bolt mount, seems like they used them lots of places. I know Toyota's used the same style pump, so some potential.

Here is the pump without a reservoir or pulley:

990-1289_LANG.jpg

990-1289_RANG.jpg

990-1289_FRO.jpg

990-1289_BAC.jpg

Here is one with the reservoir:

R5181778AB-2-SID.jpg

R5181778AB-3-TOP.jpg

Worst case, pretty sure a 6.1 pump could be adapted with a .48" shim or some spacers. The other option is a Saginaw II pump from a Chevy and Holley's parts to adapt it along with an Earl's fitting.

But he would prefer to use the pump he has already.

I'm a bit confused.

You say he wants to use the 70, stock pump but with a remote resovour.

Is that correct?

No, he wants to use the 6.4 pump like would have come on an '11 Charger or Challenger. But the 6.4 never came with a remote reservoir so trying to retrofit it.

If I am not mistaken that pump will have too much pressure for your PS box.

If I am not mistaken that pump will have too much pressure for your PS box.

He has a Control Freaks front end kit with a Flaming River rack. Doesn't mean the rack will take the pressure either, but I know the pumps can be turned down so we will cross that bridge later.

I have some experience with a PS remote reservoir on a Type II pump (similar to the 6.4 pump) and what I will say is to make sure that the reservoir is above the pump or it will not work.

-
Back