Remove chrome plating from rear trim?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
Brothers, sisters, and all the other fauna whom I don't know how to address!

What is a safe, relatively easy way to remove the chrome plating from the cast aluminum rear trim panel and tail light surrounds found on the Dart Sports? They all have some degree of pitting, bubbling, or other defects. I'd like to take mine down to the aluminum substrate without damaging it, then polish the bright parts of it, and paint the corresponding areas of argent and black. I'm not keen on blasting because of the texture it would leave, and my cabinet isn't large enough, anyway. :)

Thanks, and apologies if this has been covered, but the search terms I used brought up no usable results.

Picture attached to clarify what I mean. And noooo, that's not my baby, just one of yours I found out there on the 'Net.
GpSk15muWl.jpg

They have to be Acid dipped and then rechromed . They will not polish because they are ny aluminum they are a pot metal. Take them to a bike shop that does chroming. They will fix the pits and smooth them for you.

They have to be Acid dipped and then rechromed . They will not polish because they are ny aluminum they are a pot metal. Take them to a bike shop that does chroming. They will fix the pits and smooth them for you.

I was afraid they would be pot metal! I'm not a huge purist, so it wouldn't bother me if they weren't chrome, I just want them to be smoother. Plus, the previous owner painted mine black to hide the ugly and give it that blacked out look like the late '60s Chargers. It's not hideous...but not my particular vision.

Thanks, man. Oh - and get this: I got the bolts you sent, sent you a little lunch money, and when I went to put the bolts away until I could get to them for assembly, I found a small stash of those exact bolts that I had apparently picked up somewhere and forgot about. :) That's life...the easiest way to find a thing is to buy a replacement!

Here is an alternative. This stuff works great on all materials and is easy to apply. he also has a video of a clear protective coat. i'lll include/.

The closest to chrome you'll get and its for the do it yourself hobbyist. here it is on a Dash

DSCN1222.JPG

Using this over chrome you will need to etch the part with Acid then scuffing it. Apply a light coat of self etch primer before the black.

-
Back