Remove rust inside door panels?

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
I'll be starting the work on my '75 Dart Sport doors in the next day or two, and since my doors came from a salvage yard, there's definitely surface rust inside the door skin. What methods do you folks use to remove the rust, or do you use one of the available encapsulation sprays and call it good?

I'm sure I'll need to remove the window regulators (once I figure out exactly how), but even then, there's not an easy way to get in there to sand by hand.

Thanks!

Media blast.... then rust converter I guess, then maybe an oil base topcoat? That's how my redneck *** would do it, I'm sure there's somebody with more modern, better techniques on here, hopefully they'll speak up!

Media blast.... then rust converter I guess, then maybe an oil base topcoat? That's how my redneck *** would do it, I'm sure there's somebody with more modern, better techniques on here, hopefully they'll speak up!
I thought about blasting, but there's a little voice in the back of my head that says I'll end up with media/sand stuck in places I'll never get it out of. :)

I thought about blasting, but there's a little voice in the back of my head that says I'll end up with media/sand stuck in places I'll never get it out of. :)
Hence the fact I ain't mentioned Sand! Lol sand holds moisture that plastic media does not I'm sure if you got creative though with like a soda straw and maybe a miniature funnel or a piece of vacuum line a miniature funnel and a wet vac you could probably build you a fine tune extension and suck most of that plastic out of the inside of them doors

other than a chem stripper, all I could say is you could cut the door skins out and then weld them back in if you got that kind of talent.. hopefully someone else will chime in man that's all I got brother

other than a chem stripper, all I could say is you could cut the door skins out and then weld them back in if you got that kind of talent.. hopefully someone else will chime in man that's all I got brother

I most assuredly do not have that kind of talent! Thanks, though!

Lay the gutted door face down and apply an absorbent such as paper towels or the sort to the inside. Soak the towels with Evaporust, and keep them wet the whole time it is in contact with the rust.

For my hood, my body guy made a pool out of plastic and filled it with a muriatic acid mix. He skinned the hood, and placed the skin in the pool and blasted the frame. When it was free of rust, he neutralized it, sealed it and welded the hood back together with new adhesive and epoxy primer. When done, he neutralized the pool contents and disposed of it......................Not bad for $300 bucks.

Last edited:
Lay the gutted door face down and apply an absorbent such as paper towels or the sort to the inside. Soak the towels with Evaporust, and keep them wet the whole time it is in contact with the rust.

For my hood, my body guy made a pool out of plastic and filled it with a muriatic acid mix. He skinned the hood, and placed the skin in the pool and blasted the frame. When it was free of rust, he neutralized it, sealed it and welded the hood back together with new adhesive and epoxy primer. When done, he neutralized the pool contents and disposed of it......................Not bad for $300 bucks.

Now that's an idea I CAN do. Thanks!

Scotch bright pad, wipe with rust convertor, use a spray paint with primer in it of your fav color, 'black' is appropriate.

I just patched a rear lower quarter and did that with the inner after wire wheel and convertor.

You said it has surpace rust!!!! Go to a good (Maybe Ace Hardware) and get a qt. of OSPHO. Buy a $2 sprayer and spray inside the doors till it is all very WET. Let dry all day, next day spray again let sit maybe 5 minutes but NOT dry to neutralize the OPSHO and rinse very good! Best to dry it with air. I would get Rusteoluem (can) in there best you can. Great sealer and tough. Like said you can lay the doors flat, one end whatever. There are drain slots on the bottom of door sheetmetal.

I used this product...
I mixed it with 20% water like it says you can (in a smaller separate container)..
I went to the dollar store and got quart size throw away containers, throw away small paint brushes, and a couple of those dish washing wand with the little sponges going every direction on the end and used that to completely swamp out the insides of my doors and cowl of my truck....
And the entire bottom of the cab...
PXL_20210726_185656929.jpg

PXL_20210726_185730706.jpg

PXL_20210726_172344595.jpg

PXL_20210722_180450483.jpg

PXL_20210722_180422553.jpg

I use readily available napa rust convertor from napa auto parts.

I guess that's one thing I'm unsure about - the rust converters actually DO convert rust to something stable, or are they more or less a cover-up or encapsulation chemical? I know I could Google it, but most of what I have seen are obvious promotions of Brand X or whatever, fewer are actually endorsed by non-sponsored users who actually enjoy it.

^^^^IMHO opinion "rust convertors " and acids that kill rust are two different things. If in doubt, ask a real resto shop or GOOD body man that question. I say DuPont, PPG etc. do not sell rust convertors they sell metal prep (not cleaner).
But hey if it works, it works?????

-
Back