Remove Undercoating

-

stimpy29

Reaction score
Now that I've practically stripped my car bare and there is no hope in seeing it on the road anytime soon, I thought I would slowly start to remove the undercoating (black hard rough stuff). Does anyone know of a decent method to get this stuff off without damaging the car? Heat, chemical, blasting?

Thanks for your help as usual.

A heat gun or a small torch and a scraper seems to be a popular method. Followed by a wire brush.

I just started scraping mine. I used a propane torch and a metal scraper. I got half of it done in one day. I think I may use a little solvent to get the rest off, before I send it to the blaster.

Heating it with a torch is the only way I have found to get it done. It goes fairly quick once you get in the groove, torch in one hand, scraper in the other.

Good luck and have fun. Just keep telling yourself that it's a labor of love!

Joe

I have heard that WD40 works awesome!! Loosens it right up, comes off easily with a scraper or even a rag. I have never tried this yet, just heard it.

I heard of guys using pickup truck spray-on bed liner instead of using the old-style factory undercoating material to re-coat their cars. Has anybody heard of this?

I heard of guys using pickup truck spray-on bed liner instead of using the old-style factory undercoating material to re-coat their cars. Has anybody heard of this?
I have definitely heard of people doing this but when I told my dad he looked at me like I had two heads. I would imagine that this would be a good solution. It would wash off easy, and prevent rust/rot on the floors.

69 DART"420";296377 said:
yep tourch and scrappers
OK, so there's no magical spray solution that eats this stuff up, dissolves it, does not affect the sheet metal and leaves the factory paint nice and shiney? LOL

Once I get the engine bay paint job finish, my next job is to pull out the rear-end. From there, I'll start torching and scraping. Sounds like another weekend of fun. :-?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I plan to do this with mine.

I apologize for semi-hijacking the thread. Comparing the old factory-style undercoating, which was a hard, probably asphalt-based, compound to new bedliner material, which seems softer and pliable, I am also willing to try that on the Barracuda when the time comes. I, too, will soon be melting and scraping:sad1:

I don't know about heating i used a air scraper and just a regular scrapper and some elbo grease didnt have to use solvent or anything else except a wire wheel to finnish and that was removeing the old paint the colder it is the better it will pop off in junks by the weekend ill have new picts posted it is almost newly under coated with under coating witch is paintable witch it will be the same color as the car

I used Rhinoliner (truck bed roll on liner) in the trunk of the Demon ...i have to tell you ..i FREAKEN love the job it did..if i get a chance ill take some pics

Another way to remove the bitumen based undercoating is to use kerosene with a scraper. Use a spray bottle with the kero and let it soak in for a little while before attacking it with the scraper. I use rough grade household steel wire to finish it all off. It's a filthy job but someone's got to do it!

Another way to remove the bitumen based undercoating is to use kerosene with a scraper. Use a spray bottle with the kero and let it soak in for a little while before attacking it with the scraper. I use rough grade household steel wire to finish it all off. It's a filthy job but someone's got to do it!
Yes, KEROSENE is the way I removed the undercoating from my barracuda front fenders. It's a slow process , a little messy , a layer at a time with a scraper, but I didn't want to chance a torch, when removing it from my front fenders, for fear of warpage. So I used the spray bottle and kerosene. It worked very well.:toothy10:

Soda or Media Blasting.
Cost about $200.00 to have the underside done to mine.
Took them about three hours.
When it comes out bare white and clean you realize it is worth it.
I am going back to have the whole car done in the next week or so.

I just remembered when I did my '68 GTX about 28 years ago. I started it in winter (on Long Island). I remember using a paint scraper and a hammer and the stuff popped off in chunks. You guys jogged my memory of that experience. That was when no body panel re-pops were available and I had to hand-form all the patch panels from sheet steel. UGH!

Anyway, because I now live in Hell (temperature-wise), it will never get that cold for me to have the same undercoat removal experience. As the saying goes, "Ya gotta do what ya gotta do."

So I started the heating and scraping of the undercoating in my wheel wells over the weekend. Not a fun job, but the process definitely works. I'm not looking forward to scraping the same stuff from the underneath of the car.

Thanks again for the ideas. If only there was an easier way. :)

I'll be doing this later this summer and I did a lot of research on what has worked for others. My plan is to use a solvent to soften it up, then blast it off with a hot water pressure washer. There are threads on other boards that show this and it seems to work very well.

I used a torch and a putty knife, then followed with a wire wheel on a angle grinder.

Gasket scraper with lots of elbow grease and heat for the first thick layer. Then WD-40 in a spray bottle with wire brushes and scrapers/knives..whatever works. Then green scrub pads for that final thin layer. Then soap and water, then rinse with water. Then 2 coats of your favourite rust proofing paint like Por-15, Master Series Silver or Rust bullet or whatever. Then a finish coat of whatever you want.

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9323.JPG

I cleaned enough off to weld frame connectors on. I used paint remover in spray can. Very messy but did a good job.

-
Back